PDA

View Full Version : all new cooling system...temp skyrockets

rzibilske77
10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
heres the deal, 95 sc, all new parts radiator,water pump, cap, t-stat(180) temp sender, temp sensor.
I have both of my fans on toggle switches.
normal driving, like keeping my lead foot out of it most of the time it will run just fine, but the 1st time i get on it hard, u cant miss that gauge as it goes from one end cold to red line hot in a matter of seconds.
then if i stay off of it after that it will go back down.
Its like i am having bad circulation
i assume the pump is still good as it doesn't leak out the weep hole..etc
whats next?

92strokedbird
10-24-2005, 10:05 PM
It sounds like the temp sending unit sensor that is located on the thermostat housing.I had the same thing,changed it and bouncing gauge no more. :D

rzibilske77
10-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I think its working correctly, the car is really getting hot during the time i get on it hard, cause it will spill over a lil coolant, so as far as i know it reads correctly, and its the 2nd one in a month.
but the main question here is why i am getting hot?

It sounds like the temp sending unit sensor that is located on the thermostat housing.I had the same thing,changed it and bouncing gauge no more. :D

92strokedbird
10-24-2005, 10:25 PM
You probably dont have all of the air out of the system.You have to fill the tube beside the front of the blower,it is the highest part of the system.Then run the car with the rad cap off and let it burp itself of all of the air bubbles in the system.Takes about 20 min or so then replace the rad cap and it should be fine.

rzibilske77
10-24-2005, 10:30 PM
yea i will do that again i have the rad cap with the vent release so i guess i will try that again. I have flushed my system like 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks.
thx :)

You probably dont have all of the air out of the system.You have to fill the tube beside the front of the blower,it is the highest part of the system.Then run the car with the rad cap off and let it burp itself of all of the air bubbles in the system.Takes about 20 min or so then replace the rad cap and it should be fine.

David Neibert
10-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Was it fine before you did all this new cooling system stuff, or did you replace all those things because it was running hot ?

I ask because what your describing sounds like a blown head gasket. If fact I'm about 98% sure that's what's wrong.

David

rzibilske77
10-24-2005, 11:28 PM
first thought was hg's, and i pray that its not...just did the 35th few months back :mad:
anyhow it could be the start of them going but theres not really any sign of them yet besides whats it doing now.
oil is fine, no smoke out the tail pipes, clean oil cap, no loss of power.
as for the new cooling system , water pump and rad are maybe a yr if that
recently pulled codes 117, 118 which was bad temp sender i believe.
hopefully its just air but i pretty well think i got most out.

Was it fine before you did all this new cooling system stuff, or did you replace all those things because it was running hot ?

I ask because what your describing sounds like a blown head gasket. If fact I'm about 98% sure that's what's wrong.

David

BobGPz
10-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Getting ALL the air bubbles out of this car is a pain in the rear. Make sure your heater temperature (Not the heater FAN) is on HIGH as to get the air out of there too.
Doesn't anybody sell a tool to put fluid into the system under pressure, so it will get all the air bubbles out? I'd buy one.. :rolleyes:

Birdman93
10-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Hmmm-there's a thought!

Use a radiator pressure tester installed in the proper place-loosen up the bleeder bolt at the high point-and then put 16psi into the warm, with engine shut off system.

You should be able to push the air out through the overflow and the bleeder doing this.

rlong
10-25-2005, 08:16 PM
i never had much trouble getting the air out i hardly ever even opened the bleeder im thinking headgaskets too, when my hg went i had no steam out the tailpipes and no loss of power it just started running warmer and i knew from doing many hg on other cars, mine mostly runs real cool with 180 thermostat about the first line off of cold on the guage unless its 90 or 100 degrees out and i climb a mountain it may get to half on the guage , or in town a long time idleing at 90 or 100 degrees out. one time after i first got my sc i was ripping on it pretty hard in about 3rd gear and i saw steam and carbon come out the exhaust , i thought it blew the hg but concluded it was just blowing moisture and carbon out of the muffler everything was fine no overheating or loss of coolant

TBirdDriver
10-25-2005, 10:17 PM
I've owned an SC for over 14 years. One thing I noticed is that the original thermostat on the SC came with a bleeder valve in the thermostat. I have replaced a number of these over the years and noticed that some of the ones you buy at the auto parts stores today do not have this bleeder hole.
It's there so that any air trapped behind it can work it's way out. I think some guys here have actually drilled a 1/16" hole in it before they put it in if it doesn't have it.

Another thing that was stock was a coiled spring in the lower rad hose to prevent collapse. None of the replacement hoses for the SC that you buy now come with this. I have been transferring my old spring from the original to the replacement every time I replace it.

Also: After changing the rad fluid in my car I would carry around a socket wrench, and every time I stopped, I would crack that bleeder valve to let any air escape. I would sometimes have to do this 7-10 times to get it all out.

David Neibert
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
What makes me think it's a head gasket is that the car runs at normal temps unless you go WOT, then it quickly overheats according to the gauge. That means that combustion gasses are entering the cooling system under high cylinder pressure. Those gases cause the coolant to be pushed out of the radiator because the cap only holds 16 psi. The resulting hot air pockets cause the temp gauge to suddenly rise.

The codes you mention relate to the coolant temp sensor that is used by the EEC to determine timing and fuel mixtures, not the sensor that provides info for the coolant temp gauge. So I doubt that has anything to do with your problem.

There is a chemical test that you can perform to detect combustion gases in the coolant, that would be the easiest way to determine if it's the HGs.

David

SanDiegoLXBird
10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
What makes me think it's a head gasket is that the car runs at normal temps unless you go WOT, then it quickly overheats according to the gauge. That means that combustion gasses are entering the cooling system under high cylinder pressure. Those gases cause the coolant to be pushed out of the radiator because the cap only holds 16 psi. The resulting hot air pockets cause the temp gauge to suddenly rise.

The codes you mention relate to the coolant temp sensor that is used by the EEC to determine timing and fuel mixtures, not the sensor that provides info for the coolant temp gauge. So I doubt that has anything to do with your problem.

There is a chemical test that you can perform to detect combustion gases in the coolant, that would be the easiest way to determine if it's the HGs.

David

What are the details of this test?

rzibilske77
10-30-2005, 02:29 PM
David N.
you are not 98% right you are 100% right....HG'S
Im glad to know there are knowledgable ppl out there but S*&% thats the last thing i needed to hear :mad:
I payed to have the hg's done on my 35th, but that wasn't too long ago and cannot afford to have it done.
So where to start as in tools etc.
the car has over 151k so i might want to rebuild the bottom end too.
what all new parts should i buy for a complete rebuild..im looking at performance parts too as this is the best time to while torn down.

David