300 rwhp M90 ?

Thunder427

my goal for at least right now is 300+ rwhp.. I know i saw dave ask about this but the response was not that great, but I think its because people just toss em for 94-95 models, S ports, and MP2s ( ? ) and such..

this spring im planning on a 10% overdrive pulley, a 75mm TB, and MPFMIC, on a completely bone stock 1990 SC.

jk lol

This is whats done to it right now, Ported heads ( not sure on the flow), Ported blower ( 90' M90 , screams like a banshee :) ) with 1.5" raised top by chris lazzo, Ported exhaust manifolds to a straight dual exhaust ( no cats or mufflers right now, will put some flowmasters on, not sure of the exhaust diameters and such ) 5% overdrive pulley ( soon to be 10% ), underdrive pulley, 73mm MAF , custom CAI ( same design as SCP's ) IC fan, ( soon to be MPFMIC ) stock throttle body ( soon to be 75mm ) , 36lb injectors, 190 lph pump.

im new to these engines, but wouldnt you think that should be making at least 300 rwhp ? ( with the addition of 75mm TB, MPFMIC, and 10% OD )

If your car is a 5 speed, I'll say maybe. If it is an Auto, I'll say doubtfull. You didn't list a cam as one of your mods, so I'm guess that will be what's holding you back. You can check out my member's page to see what mods it has taken me to make over 300 rwhp (308 rwhp at the Shootout).

Thunder427 said:
my goal for at least right now is 300+ rwhp.. I know i saw dave ask about this but the response was not that great, but I think its because people just toss em for 94-95 models, S ports, and MP2s ( ? ) and such..

this spring im planning on a 10% overdrive pulley, a 75mm TB, and MPFMIC, on a completely bone stock 1990 SC.

jk lol

This is whats done to it right now, Ported heads ( not sure on the flow), Ported blower ( 90' M90 , screams like a banshee :) ) with 1.5" raised top by chris lazzo, Ported exhaust manifolds to a straight dual exhaust ( no cats or mufflers right now, will put some flowmasters on, not sure of the exhaust diameters and such ) 5% overdrive pulley ( soon to be 10% ), underdrive pulley, 73mm MAF , custom CAI ( same design as SCP's ) IC fan, ( soon to be MPFMIC ) stock throttle body ( soon to be 75mm ) , 36lb injectors, 190 lph pump.

im new to these engines, but wouldnt you think that should be making at least 300 rwhp ? ( with the addition of 75mm TB, MPFMIC, and 10% OD )

No I don't think adding those parts is going to do it. The inlet plenum of the early model supercharger even when heavily ported will only be about 68mm at the bend, so installing a 75mm TB does not help much. If your planning to stay with the early model supercharger a 70mm TB is all you need. Overdriving the blower harder with a stock cam will often result in higher peak torque, but lower HP because of the power required to spin the blower in the upper rpms.

I'm guessing you will see something like 265 rwhp if you got it dyno tuned. The early model blower and plenum combo is a real dog and the sooner you ditch it, the sooner you will reach your goals.

David

hmm yeah thats true.. but i see they do the MP thing for these blowers ? with the rear inlet ? so i could then run an MP inlet plenum with like 85mm tb

i talked to Dave about an AR kit but I dunno yet..

suggestions ? lol anyone got an MP3 yet ?

but wait though, ive seen guys running 265 rwhp with less stuff than me ( like head porting ) and with the crappy stock intercooler.. and are using like a stock 94/95 blower.. i just think that the MP front mount IC will give me good gains.. i dunno, you guys know these engines better than me though :)

Last edited:
Thunder427 said:
hmm yeah thats true.. but i see they do the MP thing for these blowers ? with the rear inlet ? so i could then run an MP inlet plenum with like 85mm tb

i talked to Dave about an AR kit but I dunno yet..

suggestions ? lol anyone got an MP3 yet ?

You don't need an 85mm TB to make 300 rwhp. The MP inlet plenum would help a lot when bolting to a late-model or MPII blower.

so your suggestion is i just shut up and get an MP2 or 3 ? lol

i see the SCP "no wait" thing ? so you dont have to give the old blower to them right away..

ok so scratch the old ported M90, so were talking ported heads MPFMIC, MP2 blower and everything else..

that should put me to 300 rwhp then right ? sorry im being a pain in the ~~~, but i just like to hear from people who go out and do this and have "real world gains". not google tuners. especially when it comes to getting the best bang for buck... well that would be the AR, but i am not sure about getting that right away..

Here's what 286 RWHP takes on a 5 speed.

ZR intake, 76mm MAF, 70mm TB, 94-95 S model @ 10%, FMIC with larger s/c outlet, underdrives, 208 Crane Cam, mild porting on lower intake and heads (100K mile stock valves), Kooks headers, high - flow exhaust, 13# flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, SCT chip. 255 pump and 42# injectors for fuel.

My AC is deleted too...which may save 1 or 2 HP from the belts, but I don't think this or my aluminum driveshaft is really doing much to help.

If you insist on keeping the old blower....you'll be hard pressed to get 300 RWHP without getting into the heads/cam. If you bought a SNOW alcohol injection kit you might be able to do it though.

If you go with a MP2 and inlet, you could get 300 RWHP without getting into the block and without a SNOW kit, but you would need a lot of bolt ons.

Micah

We got right about 300rwhp from an early style blower, but it took about everything else you can imagine to get there. The problem is that as you approach 300rwhp the airflow requirements of the motor exceed the flow capacity of the blower and boost is falling off. Even with a late model blower or MPII/III you will be hard pressed to get any more than about 270rwhp without opening up the motor. They flow enough air but with a stock motor 300rwhp requires so much boost that HP drain from the supercharger becomes an issue. Ported heads can help a stock cammed motor but it all depends on just how good the porting job is. With an internally stock SC motor 260rwhp is easy. Beyond that diminishing returns are a real steep slope.

I agree with Dave go figure. The blower itself will hold you back. But hey...You can always deal with that later. And I believe the 36lb injectors if not already bought should be ditched for 42's .

The 75mm TB may nto be needed now but if you upgrade your blower later youll want a 75. I perfer the 76 or 80mm C&L if you didnt already get the 73.

Oh and good luck!

ive got an 89 auto with pretty much every thing u can do to the motor with out the mp blower or fmic and am putting out about 280 rwhp

Last edited:
here's what i have done to a bone stock internal block (see member page), valvecovers never removed to get 248 RWHP and 358 RWTQ, this is an automatic car making 18-19lbs of boost. talking to dave when it was getting tuned, heads are the next choker to work on to free up some HP and get a cam to match. just swapping the blowers form early to late with no other changes made during the swap was a great improvement. just my 2 cents though

I was talking to Charles at MP, Travis that made the 390 hp, told me that he had a stock block except i think ported heads, and a mild cam. And obviously he had all the MP goodies, exhaust, MP3, 15% OD, and so on.. So realistically it is no very hard to reach the 300 mark. If the statements I heard were true, but the dino is on the website. Just my 2 cents

tbirdcrazy said:
I was talking to Charles at MP, Travis that made the 390 hp, told me that he had a stock block except i think ported heads, and a mild cam. And obviously he had all the MP goodies, exhaust, MP3, 15% OD, and so on.. So realistically it is no very hard to reach the 300 mark. If the statements I heard were true, but the dino is on the website. Just my 2 cents

300 rwhp used to be a very difficult task, but these days anyone with a credit card can do it.

David

i cant seem to find cams for this engine though.

but my heads are ported, i dont know if anyone noticed :p

im really considering the MP3 now.

im just trying to get this setup for mid july for the syracuse nationals weekend, the most insane street scene ever.. 6,000+ hot rods/muscle cars plus everyone else who comes out to the streets to race and do burnouts..

talk to dave for a cam (as in singular, ya only need one :)) he can get you what you need

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
300 rwhp used to be a very difficult task, but these days anyone with a credit card can do it.

David

Ouch :eek:

Cept I aint got the peices together yet ;)

I was gonna start with a strong bottom end and ended up spending alot more than I planned due to "requirements creep."

Last edited:
Back