Starter stays engaged for a couple secs

Chuck AZ

I have had this starter problem for a while now and I cannot figure it out.

When I start the car the starter stays engaged for a sec or so after the engine starts.

I have changed the starter, seloniod, and I had a bad Ign. switch that I changed. It still does it. Is there something I am missing?

It does not seem to affect the starters performance or reliability at all.

Is there another part I should be checking?

Thanks

Chuck

1990 Sc auto

Chuck AZ said:
I have had this starter problem for a while now and I cannot figure it out.

When I start the car the starter stays engaged for a sec or so after the engine starts.

I have changed the starter, seloniod, and I had a bad Ign. switch that I changed. It still does it. Is there something I am missing?

It does not seem to affect the starters performance or reliability at all.

Is there another part I should be checking?

Thanks

Chuck

1990 Sc auto
My symptoms where like your and I changed the solenoid and finally the starter to fix the problem. Could the starter gear be ahnging up on the flex-plate?

Kurt K said:
My symptoms where like your and I changed the solenoid and finally the starter to fix the problem. Could the starter gear be ahnging up on the flex-plate?

That is sorta what I am leaning towards. Or maybe the key tumbler but it does not seem to make a difference if I giggle the key. I guess I will change the flexplate when I get a new converter.

well i had the same thing but not in a sc... or a t bird... or a car... but it was a ford!

had an old ranger and the starter would run a few seconds after it was started. several days later it stuck on for about 2 minutes and then finaly nothing. replaced the solenoid and it was fine but ruined the starter i guess. i had to replace that 2 days later.

Back