head work

gokartrule

i finally got the heads off my bird yesterday and carryed them to get re-worked today. i have the machine shop gasket matching,porting both the heads and intake manifold. they are also doing something called re-working the bowls whatever that is he suggested it so i told him go ahead.is there anything else i should get them to do beside this. i'm also looking at getting the roller rockers as well, how much gain am i gonna get from these.thanks for all ur help.william

well i got a call back for the machine shop today and i need to get the heads resurfaced b/c of being slightly warped...but i also need a intake valve and something else, so a $300 job jumped to a $500 job..i need some opinions and help..should i still go ahead and get the roller rockers or get some other small mod...im running a little short on money at the time and aint sure what to do...the rocker are $270 and i can get those but ill have to put off the SC TOP, or somehting else...what should i do???

If you search, I think you'll find that many folks feel the roller rockers are simply of no value with a motor that isn't being built for significantly higher RPM's.

The stock valvetrain works pretty well for what we got going on.

I'm expecting $800 in machine work and that doesn't include any head work. So you're still doing o.k.

roller rockers are a waste you might get 1hp if that much.
Save your $ and do the head gaskets and some porting if you want.

At that level yes RR are a waste. I did gain 12rwhp on my stang though with 1.73's instead of the factory 1.6's.

Whatever shop you are going to should be able to clean up the heads with minimal work. He should know what to do without being told. I would go for a good 3 or 5 angle valve job and a new set of springs locks and retainers.

well i thought i had posted it but maybe not i am have a 3 angle valve job done, along with gasket matching, porting and polishing the heads and the intake plemium to match and there re-working the valve bowls whatever that means he suggested it, along with replaceing the valve stem seals. and the price with all that and the one intake valve and machineing the head only comes to a little under $500 (i called today and talked him down).

roller rockers

Got to ask a question on this subject!
I realize that the hp gains are negligible for RR's. My understanding is that a large value in RR's is to help negate valve guide wear. Less side loading at the tip of the valve due to "scrubbing" action of the non-roller VS the rolling action of the RR. That should lessen the friction wear of the valve stem against the valve guide. Like many other ideas, the guide wear issue may be minimal and not worth the cost of RR's. Whatta you think?
YB

Back