Cobra engine swap? Some ideas????

ricardoa1

Alright guys, I am rebuilding my SC engine for the second time. And alot has gone tru my mind. I am going to fix it I "think". But I am so fed up with the 3.8 SC engine that I want to start another project that has alot more potential and might be alittle more reliable. So hear me out. I miss my 03 Cobra that I sold. I love the power of it. A want to build a Bird with that engine. So here is the plan, Getting a 92 Crown Vic 4.6l block so that the trans bolts to the M5r2?. :eek: I know I dont want to deal with cables like in the mustang. Rebuilt the internals, maybe transplant the internals from a Sc cobra engine. then get some DOHC heads the new ones, bolt on the intercooler and maniford assembly, get all the accesories from a 03 cobra engine and bolt those on. Use the ECU from the 03 cobra. The ultimate SVT Bird. Any thoughs are welcomed, price not being an issue :cool:

You are looking at several problems no matter what way you look at it. By going with the Vic block and plainning on using the DOHC heads you wont be able to use an 03/04 cobra timing cover as some of the bolt holes will not line up. That leaves you with the only option being to use a timing cover off a mark8 cause all the bolt holes line up on it and the vic block. Then you have the problem of your 03/04 cobra assesories not bolting up to the mark8 timing cover :rolleyes:.

If you went the route and baught a complete 03/04 cobra engine you will have to convert to returnless fuel system and then all the other computer BS. Motor mounts are also different, could be kmember/oil pan clearance issues etc. Good luck with your project!

Shane

But if I use the mark 8 heads then the intake from the Cobra will not bolt up. Correct. AJE tubular K member I hope takes care of the clearence problem

I am in the though process stage, so any ideas would be cool. I would thing that the front cover can be modified to accept the accesories, Cut and paste?

See I went down this same path that you are looking down except for I was starting off with a '99 cobra engine. I found that it would be much simpilar and probably cheaper to buy a wrecked 03/04 cobra somehwere for like $9k and build you SC with the parts from it. Once you have spent all the time sorcing out parts to convert the vic motor to '03 cobra specs and buy the blower and IC, then all the wiring and computer and fuel related stuff, it might end up being cheaper to get the wreched cobra and work off it. Everything is there to begin with too so theres no scavenger hunt.

Shane

What I see is a huge project. Do you have the perserverence to make it happen? Remember, you are already PO'd at your 3.8. It may be unreliable but it is easier and cheaper to work on.

I think if you really want to do the 4.6 swap thing I'd get the Vic motor and leave it SOHC. Use Mike Siska as a model for getting performance from the 2V motor. You'll save yourself a ton of hassle.

I know its a huge project, I am going to finish the SC first. But I need something else after that so that I dont keep spending money on the sc. But I want an SC not another Mustang. That was one of the reasons why I got rid of it. I was planning on getting a complete 03/04 assembly, wiring, fuel, and such things. Sell the T-56, and SC, Install a whipple. and get the Vic block. I want this to be my long term project one that I can get pices for it slowly, and at my own pace, without worring about bringing it to any events. Almost what Neibert has with his turbo set up. :p

I know alot of these post come up, and never have I seen a positive outcome. I just need to hear ideas right now.

you can buy my 4.6 :)

Gen 1 is "faster" I think, ( the one i have 93 mark ) the intake manifold is good design.

alls i was going to do is get the FR500 cam kit ( comes with valves but found out the guides are different from 93 b series heads to say a 96 cobra b series head )

and get the stock B-series heads ported.

this and a couple of other simple things would have made 380-400 hp on motor.

then get a cobra rotating mass for strength and get a KB twin screw :)

you might as well start with a 4.6 dohc though. This aluminum Teksid block is STRONG AS ~~~~. and it only weighs 84 pounds. the bottom end is not "strong" per-se where you could run the same power through it as an 03 cobra, but I dont see 500 hp blowing any main bearings or cracking rods with out excessive abuse.. ( however the rods in the lincoln applications are weak ) but I have everything, the engine is actually bolted to the K member right now, i have the DIS module and EEC-IV computer and the entire wiring harness. but thats the best alternative, there are people who do the newer 03 cobra dohc swap, but i bet they took a serious bruising in their wallet. If you talk to "Racecougar" or "4cambird" over at TCCOA about dohc swapping they can tell you basically everything you need to know about putting a 4 cam mod motor in your MN12.

but IMO i would get a Gen 1 4.6 dohc, ( i can sell you mine for a decent amount ) port those B series heads, get new cams, and MAYBE a 96-98 cobra intake manifold, and kooks headers, you will be all set.

or get crazy and make it a 5.0 stroker so you have a forged bottom end.

just my long-winded 5 cents. :)

PS careful about talking that swap here, most guys are open here, whereas others will stone you to death for ditching the 3.8 :p

if you want SOHC performance talk to big "forgot his name" the guy who owns "frankencougie" he can build some SERIOUS PI motors.

but so long as it sports a blower, its still a Thunderbird SC to me even if its a big block :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think is it dumb to put a forced induction 4.6 on an M5R2. There is much more fabrication required to put that motor in the car than would be required to put a 6spd in your SC. Why use the crappy M5R2 behind an unlimited budget 4.6 screamer?

Ricardo,

Chris Mendola and Brian Herron were going to do the 03 Cobra swap on Mendola's SC several years ago. They were planning to use the automatic transmission from an F-150 Lightning.

They claimed to have had all the details figured out to where it was going to be a bolt in deal with minimal or no custom fabrication involved. The big problem was going to be all the wiring and custom computer stuff to make the motor and electronic trans work.

I almost bought the car and all the stuff they had gathered up to do the project, but we couldn't agree on price and I was leary of getting the necessary technical support to complete the project. When that deal fell through is when I decided to go the less complicated route of an early model 5.0 based turbo. So far I have no regrets on my choice.

David

David Neibert said:
Ricardo,

Chris Mendola and Brian Herron were going to do the 03 Cobra swap on Mendola's SC several years ago. They were planning to use the automatic transmission from an F-150 Lightning.

They claimed to have had all the details figured out to where it was going to be a bolt in deal with minimal or no custom fabrication involved. The big problem was going to be all the wiring and custom computer stuff to make the motor and electronic trans work.

I almost bought the car and all the stuff they had gathered up to do the project, but we couldn't agree on price and I was leary of getting the necessary technical support to complete the project. When that deal fell through is when I decided to go the less complicated route of an early model 5.0 based turbo. So far I have no regrets on my choice.

David

What happened to that set up? Do you have any details of what the components consisted of?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-MUSTANG-COBRA-DOHC-SUPERCHARGED-ENGINE-TRANS_W0QQitemZ8009753086QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I like this set up.....

Personally, I'm going to have to agree with Dalke here. Trying to stick with the stock M5R2 would be dumb.

I think one thing you're overlooking is the wiring. It's not nearly as simple as you're making it out to be.

Good luck with your build. My best suggestion would be to do your homework before you start spending $$.

-Rod

yeah, why not just get a 4R tranny out of new mustang ? not very expensive..

i think hes making it way too complicated to have a DOHC MN12, than it should be. and as dave said, if you are already getting irritated with the 3.8 SC ( which is basically cheaper/easier to make power ) you are going to get even more aggrivated not only mixing the dohc heads ( even though it works ) and the swap itself is going to have a few speed bumps, unless you are really dedicated.. wiring alone.. :rolleyes: but hey im not trying to just make a sale here, but like i said i have a 93 dohc with everything you would need for that swap.

racecougar said:
Personally, I'm going to have to agree with Dalke here. Trying to stick with the stock M5R2 would be dumb.

I think one thing you're overlooking is the wiring. It's not nearly as simple as you're making it out to be.

Good luck with your build. My best suggestion would be to do your homework before you start spending $$.

-Rod

Thats what I am trying to do. I guess a Pontiac T56 will solve the issue, but I belive those are cable right.
As for the wiring, Some Schematics and lots of time will help. I am not saying its not hard, But If the Powertrain wiring will be supplied I dont think it should be too bad to incorporate it to the dash to operate the accesories.

I think it would be smarter to look at what you can do with the 3.8. There are GTP guys in the 9's with theirs, why not put the screws to the 3.8 and make something happen that people would really marvel at. People will look at your bird with the 4.6DOHC and say "Man, that would be killer in a Mustang". I've always felt weird driving an SC with a V8 rumble (ya, I had one). It just didn't feel right. lol

Yeah like Dave said, you could throw the biggest f'in turbo on the 3.8L you can find and crank the boost up on it :D.

But there is nothin wrong with V8 rumble in an SC in my book ;).

Shane

Back