Grrrr

90XR7Cougar5spd

Ok, the other night, the coil pack puked its guts out, as some of you may already know. Well i got a new coil pack tonight, and i got everything hooked back up, then i go to start it, i am getting no spark and no fuel, fuel pump is not even coming on. Any ideas, in the morn, im going to have the ICM tested to see if its bad. But, would a bad ICM cause the whole no fuel issue?????????

Derek

A few more things to add. I tried to pull the codes, and i didnt get any response. When its cranking the upshift light is on and the check engine light is on. I know the crank sensor is good, its brand new and it worked fine before the coil pack went out. When the key is on engine off, the check engine light and the upshift light are pretty dim. Hope its not the computer. Any ideas???

Unfortunately Derek you are going to have to figure out what caused your old coil pack to ground out and take a dump on you. I feel that if you can find the answer to that problem it should correct the no start condition that you are having. Granted you are looking at more parts replacement here either way you look at it cause frankly there are more than likely other parts fried that you have not found yet. Good luck!

Shane

What actually happened to your coil pack - because they are pretty rugged. If the car was bucking or missing and you got a 'coil failure ' CEL, then the cause is most likely a bad DIS rather than a coil pack. Did you do any simple test on the coil.
Just a thought?

Joisey Jim said:
What actually happened to your coil pack - because they are pretty rugged. If the car was bucking or missing and you got a 'coil failure ' CEL, then the cause is most likely a bad DIS rather than a coil pack. Did you do any simple test on the coil.
Just a thought?

The old coil is trash, it puked it guts up. I have no idea what caused it either, i was reseting my cam sensor and had the blower off, i was putting everything back together and went to put on the blower belt, and thats when it went up in smoke. Also, i just got done rebuilding the motor, so i have not driven it yet..

Derek

Derek, make sure that all grounds are connected. One thing to look for is the little tinny ground that goes to the alternator thats coverd up by that rubber boot. Make sure you have it connected. It probably called a power wire and not a ground but you know what I am talking about ;)

Shane

quick35th said:
Derek, make sure that all grounds are connected. One thing to look for is the little tinny ground that goes to the alternator thats coverd up by that rubber boot. Make sure you have it connected. It probably called a power wire and not a ground but you know what I am talking about ;)

Shane

Its hooked up.

Ok all the fuses under the hood look good, that was the first thing i checked last night. I went down to work (AZ) and borrowed a the code reader we use for our customers, its not a snap on, its some little acron or something like that. I hooked it up and went to pull codes, well when i hook it up, it works like it ususally does, but as soon as i turn the key on, the Upshift and the Check engine like get really reall really dim, almost like the battery is dead, which the battery is not, its getting like 12 volts or something like that. I turned on the head lights and stuff and the none of the lights went dimmer. Is there some kind of fusible link for the Computer or what? I sure as hell hope its not the computer....... :mad:

Thanks for all the help.
Derek

If it winds up being the computer Derek dont fret just yet. I have a computer out of a '89 XR7 5spd car I could kick your way for next to nothin.

Shane

Is there any way to test the computer to see if its toast, or can i tell just by looking at it, i got it out, now what do i get to do????

Derek

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

I would first off like to thank Shane for telling me to take a second look at everything before i go wasting money on parts. Anyway, Me and shane talked for a while about my issues with me car, we talked about fuses, the weather, smashing your fingers when its cold outside, o uhhhhh moving on. I went back out and double checked the fuses under the hood, i pulled out the EEC fuse, and well it was good, checked all of them over really good, then something caught my eye, i seen a fuse that didnt look so healthy, pulled it, looked at what it was, and it was my coil pack fuse, and it was BLOWN! I was still a little skeptical so i go down to work and get a fuse, throw it in there, and low and behold, the mo fo fired up, didnt stay running, but by god it started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now i need to find out why the damn thing dont wanna stay running.

The happiest SOB in the world

Derek!

Well holy s**t. I just went back out there and the fuse i put in there was already blown! but it was 10 amps smaller, so i figured thats why, so my dumbass puts a bigger one in there (40 amp when it calls for a 30). Try to start it again, and its got spark an all the good s**t. Then next thing i know, the f'n coil pack FRYS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Brand new coil pack, TOAST already!!!!! so i know i got a short some where, but how do u check for them??????????????????????????/

Was the happiest SOB in the world.

Derek! :mad:

Back