Lookie what ive got now ;-)

X

xThunderbirdSCx

Just got my car back from dave. Here are some pics from the porting job and the rebuild. My fire ring on the head gasket was ready to pop, so good thing i cought it early. Next stop is a chip from him. Looks like im also gonna be the guinea pig for a new harmonic balancer option we all can have. So if youre planning on putting one on, hold off for a week or two, and Dave and I can give a full report after installation.

Attachments

• DSC06094a.jpg
    DSC06094a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC06095a.jpg
    DSC06095a.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC06091a.jpg
    DSC06091a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC06092a.jpg
    DSC06092a.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC06093a.jpg
    DSC06093a.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 166
Looks alot like the job I did to my heads. Only I raped every casting mark/guide.

Good work Double Deez :)

Last edited:
I am going to be starting my own porting business (I guess you could call it that) this winter. I have a 5.0L, 3.8L SC, my 35th, and my 92 SC all inline waiting to have some port work done to them. I'll post up some pics once I get started.

Shane

xThunderbirdSCx said:
Just got my car back from dave. Here are some pics from the porting job and the rebuild. My fire ring on the head gasket was ready to pop, so good thing i cought it early. Next stop is a chip from him. Looks like im also gonna be the guinea pig for a new harmonic balancer option we all can have. So if youre planning on putting one on, hold off for a week or two, and Dave and I can give a full report after installation.

Take it your Dalkes new spokes person?????? :p

90XR7Cougar5spd said:

Yep.... :p just wanted to show you guys his quality work. He is starting his own porting business soon.

90XR7Cougar5spd said:

He's my friend and he lives close by. I did some work for him and he seems happy with it so far which is always good. Please understand this is not an advertisement for anything. I did some minor port work on his heads, just cleaned up the chambers, unshrouded the valves and port matched the intake. I'm not selling what I did for him to anyone else.

Really this is just about what he has or is doing and not anything about me and what I'm doing. Right now everything I'm doing is about 6 months behind schedule including Bill's car. So I've got nothing to speak about myself.

:)

XR7 Dave said:
He's my friend and he lives close by. I did some work for him and he seems happy with it so far which is always good. Please understand this is not an advertisement for anything. I did some minor port work on his heads, just cleaned up the chambers, unshrouded the valves and port matched the intake. I'm not selling what I did for him to anyone else.

Really this is just about what he has or is doing and not anything about me and what I'm doing. Right now everything I'm doing is about 6 months behind schedule including Bill's car. So I've got nothing to speak about myself.

All we are doing is giving you credibility to your work. You deserve the positive comments/influence for the good and respected work you do for people. It's just a form of appreciation for Double Deez. :)

I'll start the head porting business then :D

$999.99

I'll make up some flow numbers later ;)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 70
sizemoremk said:
I'll start the head porting business then :D

$999.99

I'll make up some flow numbers later ;)
Hell, I'd port heads for $200 and maybe cheaper.

Looks good, Mike. Good luck.

You guys aren't doing anyone any service here. :p It will cost more than $200 to have the appropriate machine work done so are you porting for free? A proper porting job starts with a quality valve job and seat work. Actual porting begins from that. It does little good to just go in there and start grinding and think you can charge money for it.

Any decent head porter will tell you that porting heads is not easy money. If done right it takes time and skills that would be more profitably spent elsewhere.

Head porting is something that is necessary to achieve a desired result. Someone who thinks they will make money on head porting alone is pretty much either ripping you off or seriously short changing themselves.

But since I'm sure you were both joking.... :p :D :cool:

XR7 Dave said:
You guys aren't doing anyone any service here. :p It will cost more than $200 to have the appropriate machine work done so are you porting for free? A proper porting job starts with a quality valve job and seat work. Actual porting begins from that. It does little good to just go in there and start grinding and think you can charge money for it.

Any decent head porter will tell you that porting heads is not easy money. If done right it takes time and skills that would be more profitably spent elsewhere.

Head porting is something that is necessary to achieve a desired result. Someone who thinks they will make money on head porting alone is pretty much either ripping you off or seriously short changing themselves.

Jokin :confused:

Hell no, you just ruined a sale I had goin :mad:

Thanks alot :mad:

:p :D ;) :D :p

XR7 Dave said:

Ummm.....I know how all of this works because I worked at a machine shop and ported heads for about a year. I even got to do some work with a CNC machine. I did my first pair of 455SD heads and got 295cfm out of them, but thats a different story.

So going to an aluminum small runner V6 casting it was easy especially since no welding was done. It was a 2+2=4 thing on my part.

Also, I wasn't including the machine work.

CMac89 said:
Ummm.....I know how all of this works because I worked at a machine shop and ported heads for about a year. I even got to do some work with a CNC machine. I did my first pair of 455SD heads and got 295cfm out of them, but thats a different story.

So going to an aluminum small runner V6 casting it was easy especially since no welding was done. It was a 2+2=4 thing on my part.

Also, I wasn't including the machine work.

Not doubting anyone. :) People just often get the wrong impression. They see $200 and they think "hey wow, this other guy charging $1000 costs way too much." Often quick comments like that can be damaging to someone offering a good product at a good price.

For example, people have a cow over Coy Miller's price for heads. However, when you look at what you get for your $2340 it isn't as high as you might think.

New oversize seats installed,
New guides
SS valves
Titanium retainers (ever price these?)
springs
10 deg locks
Screw in studs and guideplates
Comp Hi - tech rockers (ever price those?)

This isn't a Coy Miller advertisement, but what I'm pointing out is that by the time you add up all the incidentals your heads are going to cost you a bunch of money. So if you are going to spend a lot of money on the heads, do you want to guess on the port work? That is the question of the hour.

People who port their own heads (if they have experience and knowledge) can save some cash, but when you add up the hours they spend and the parts they buy, often the "deal" isn't as great is it first seems.

And then of course if you don't know what you're doing then you can make things worse and even ruin the heads altogether but you guys already know about that.

I try to stay out of the head porting business. The work I do is all very customer oriented and I generally don't work on a car that I don't tune also. It's not that I port head to sell tunes, the point is that in my mind the car is not done until it is running exactly right. The end result is very important to me and if a little head porting fits into the program then that is just how it goes.

;)

Oh I definitely understand that.

I just had a set of 455SD heads ported over last winter and it cost $3500. Well worth it though.

Flow Bench

Dave and all you others.

Most important thing when porting heads you better have a flow bench you can hurt the flow just by cleaning them up. My heads where done on a flow bench the cost would be complete $2400.00 2 years ago we gained a bunch by taking out where it picked up the flow. Some of you go in and hog them out home job well thats bad news when you want max flow. If you dont have a flow bench like me than have a head porting shop with one do them.

(Note) If your doing work for other people head porting if you dont have a flow bench or use of one your hurting your heads and wallet :rolleyes:

Jim Demmitt Jr said:
Dave and all you others.

Most important thing when porting heads you better have a flow bench you can hurt the flow just by cleaning them up. My heads where done on a flow bench the cost would be complete $2400.00 2 years ago we gained a bunch by taking out where it picked up the flow. Some of you go in and hog them out home job well thats bad news when you want max flow. If you dont have a flow bench like me than have a head porting shop with one do them.

(Note) If your doing work for other people head porting if you dont have a flow bench or use of one your hurting your heads and wallet :rolleyes:
Well, once you do port jobs with multiple types of heads on a flow bench you will start warming up as to what hurts and helps velocity and cfm wise. Not to mention there isn't anything to complex whenever you are working on a bad designed head with port matching and casting humps/marks involved.

Otherwise, if you are welding a head then I would agree that a flow bench is necessary.

Back