Supercharger issues

89xr7-sc

Well I can't seem to make any more than 2 psi at wot throttle anymore. The coupler in my supercharger has been making noise for a bit and my car has over 160,000 miles on it. If the car sits for an hour I will have full boost till the car runs for a couple minutes. The bypass seems to be working correctly. Has my supercharger gone bad?
Thanks
Shaun

Sounds like the belts or tensioners are the problem. Start by replacing both the supercharger and the jackshaft to crank belts.

David

Allready did the belts and the tensioners. No belts are loose either I checked them it was one of the first things that actually came to me.
Thanks
Shaun

89xr7-sc said:
The bypass seems to be working correctly.
Sounds like you or someone needs to observe the valve in action. When you blip the throttle, the linkage on the butterfly should rotate a full 90 degrees. What does the vacuum read at idle?

'bird

Last edited:
Well the vacuum at idle is 18-20 so I think it is good there. The problem seems to have solved itself for now. If the bypass was stuck closed you would still build boost pressure correct? That bypass would have to be stuck open to cause an issue from my understanding of how the work. I did take a vacuum pump to it and it does function properly and does not leak enough to cause an issue. But there is some slop in the valve itself. Not alot but a little and I put it thru the motions several times and could not feel it binding. But today when I went out the car was performing flawlessly so something somewhere is on it's way out.
Thanks
Shaun

Back