SC smell

gokartrule

i took the supercharger off my car to do a head gasket and i figured id change the SC oil while i was there,so i took out the plug and turn it up-side down and only a few drop came out but the the smell was terrible it was choking and gagging everyone with in 50 feet.why did i only a few drops out of it there wasnt any signs of oil leakage and why did i have this horrific smell?

gokartrule said:
i took the supercharger off my car to do a head gasket and i figured id change the SC oil while i was there,so i took out the plug and turn it up-side down and only a few drop came out but the the smell was terrible it was choking and gagging everyone with in 50 feet.why did i only a few drops out of it there wasnt any signs of oil leakage and why did i have this horrific smell?
That smell is normal for old fluid. You should've got more fluid out of it though. You should take the snout off and inspect everything to make sure nothing's damaged.

The Infamous smell

My girlfriend wanted to Kill me the first time I toom apart a blower in my basement STUNK UP THE WHOLE HOUSE

That smell is normal But you should have gotten more then a few drops

I made one of my buddys puke one time b/c of that smell, i told him it smelled good, well he beleived me (big mistake) and took a big wiff of it, it was funny! I know i know, im an ~~~~~~~. :p

Only thing that smells worse is the gear lube in the diff. If you replace that animal fat supercharger oil with BP2380 jet turbine oil, it won't stink anymore.

David

David Neibert said:
Only thing that smells worse is the gear lube in the diff. If you replace that animal fat supercharger oil with BP2380 jet turbine oil, it won't stink anymore.

David

Gear lube dont bother me anymore. I used to work in the hay feilds and i dealt with gear lube every day, our mowers took it, and we had to add some every day. Everytime i smell gear lube i think of the hay feilds. One thing i learned though, is not to open the plug on the mowers when they were warm, i got a nice shower of gear lube, it was all over me, it sucked. :eek:

Gear lube still makes me gag...i had to do diff flushes at jiffy lube like 20 times a day...

SC oil....uhhh...dont even want to smell that stuff...

The day after I purchased my 95 SC in 1997 I was tinkering around under the hood checking things out. When I pulled the supercharger fluid plug to check the fluid some of it shot out and hit my dead in the face. :eek: That's got to be one of the nastiest smells I've ever encountered. I took a shower right after it happened but I could smell that rank azz smell the rest of the day.
Lesson learnd: NEVER pull the plug on the supercharger when it's warm/hot. :)

Last edited:
I think that SC fluid and gear lube smells kinda good :eek: :p Guess I am weird like that. Gasoline also smells good too but the smell of burnt race gas smells the best :D.

Shane

Last edited:
Me too

I took the SC plug off and also took an eye/face full of the fluid. I expected it to smell worse, but it was certainly bad enough!!
Tom

Speaking of supercharger fluid, I can't seem to get the allen screw out of mine. Super tight. Got any suggestions on how I can get it out? Also what is the correct size of the allen screw ? It looks like it is messed up a bit from the previous owner trying to remove it.

I believe it's a 3/16" Allen head screw. Mine was pretty tight the first time I removed it. It's still tough with a screwdriver. An Allen wrench or a 1/4" drive ratchet works better.

By the way, I've found that the SC oil doesn't smell good, but the oil I have definitely doesn't smell quite as rank as what you guys describe.

Hey, race gas is a very unique smell. It reminds me of a pizza shop, in a weird way.

quick35th said:
I think that SC fluid and gear lube smells kinda good :eek: :p Guess I am weird like that. Gasoline also smells good too but the smell of burnt race gas smells the best :D.

Shane

cam2 smells the best especailly when it ur car burning it...i wonder if the bird can handle it??? naw

im going to pull the snout off and check everying and spray it out it brake clean, seems to rotate real smooth and no grinding or dragging so thats good.

I'm having a heck of a time taking the pulley off. My snout seal is more like a sprinkler, lol. Want to replace it but having trouble with this pulley.

S_Mazza said:
I'm having a heck of a time taking the pulley off. My snout seal is more like a sprinkler, lol. Want to replace it but having trouble with this pulley.

There is a howto somewhere, but the best method for me was to put a squirt or two of penatrant (I used “pb blaster”) and use a 3-4 inch 3 jaw puller and tighten it up slowly to get it tight, then let it set awhile, like 10-15 minutes then take another ½ turn, wait another 10-15… and repeat as necessary.

I snapped a cheap harbor freight puller on one of my blowers, so don’t get it too tight!

If you’re talking about the nut, there is actually “a nut” on the back (I think its on the back) of it that allow you to take the pullet off with a ratchet and a open end wrench.

sizemoremk said:
There is a howto somewhere, but the best method for me was to put a squirt or two of penatrant (I used “pb blaster”) and use a 3-4 inch 3 jaw puller and tighten it up slowly to get it tight, then let it set awhile, like 10-15 minutes then take another ½ turn, wait another 10-15… and repeat as necessary.

I snapped a cheap harbor freight puller on one of my blowers, so don’t get it too tight!

If you’re talking about the nut, there is actually “a nut” on the back (I think its on the back) of it that allow you to take the pullet off with a ratchet and a open end wrench.

Thanks for the input. I referred to the MN12Performance install article. I was able to get the nut off with no problem, using the method you described. And I tried basically the same method you used. The puller seemed to be getting very tight with no results, so I decided to take a break from that project rather than break something.

S_Mazza said:
Thanks for the input. I referred to the MN12Performance install article. I was able to get the nut off with no problem, using the method you described. And I tried basically the same method you used. The puller seemed to be getting very tight with no results, so I decided to take a break from that project rather than break something.

Let it set longer when it gets tight, and rap on it a bit from from time to time to allow the vibrations help get the penatrant working....

Well, I noticed a little warpage on the rear edge of the pulley (not sure if it was from the puller or dinging it with the ball-penn hammer), so I've been thinking about it, and I might go ahead and buy a dedicated blower-pulley-puller. There are a bunch of options, and I'm not sure which one I want. I'm going to start a thread about it in the Non-Technical forum asking for opinions.

Back