Tire Pressure

ThunderDave

I was checking the tire pressure today and had a strange thought. What is the correct pressure? The tire says max of 44 psi, but is that an ideal pressure to run all the time, or is it too much? I know too little and too much isn't good and a correct tire pressure will help with getting better gas mileage.

I hope it's not a stupid question, but what should it be? :confused:

Thanks!

Get your tires filled with nitrogen if you’re worried about better gas mileage, that’s what the cars driving around with green caps on the stems are using. If you want the correct tire pressure you can check the trunk or inside of the door for manufacture specs.

Your door pillar info sticker will probably show a recommended pressure of 30 psi. You can bump that up a few pounds for less rolling resistance.

cheers
Ed N.

So the info on the tire itself, is just for conversation? :D Thanks, I'll check the sticker and adjust pressure accordingly.

RadiumSC said:
So the info on the tire itself, is just for conversation? :D Thanks, I'll check the sticker and adjust pressure accordingly.

The info on the tire is it's maximum load, not optimum inflation.

RadiumSC said:
I was checking the tire pressure today and had a strange thought. What is the correct pressure? The tire says max of 44 psi, but is that an ideal pressure to run all the time, or is it too much? I know too little and too much isn't good and a correct tire pressure will help with getting better gas mileage.

I hope it's not a stupid question, but what should it be? :confused:

Thanks!

Interesting hood scoops! Mind telling me about them?

Mack

90coug said:
Get your tires filled with nitrogen if you’re worried about better gas mileage, that’s what the cars driving around with green caps on the stems are using.

What? :confused:

the max pressure is basicaly just the company covering there ~~~ so that if you over inflate the tire above what that number is and something happens(ie:it explodes and injurs you or the car ) they are not held liable for the problem. so its basicaly just a number that u should not inflate the tire past. most passenger cars are suposed to have 32psi some newer cars such as mercedes and other highend cars only have 28psi but who cares. but yes 44psi in that case is to much.

Mack92SC said:
Interesting hood scoops! Mind telling me about them?

Mack

Thanks! It's just a stock hood with places cut to fit the hood scoops from a Turbo Coupe. I got the idea to do it from MannySC. He has the scoops mounted in a fiberglass raised cowl scoop us his SC. Jeremy Kovacs has added them to his Cougar XR7 too.

Attachments

• 175471507lTWNYX_ph.jpg
    175471507lTWNYX_ph.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 89
  • jeremy and jess pics 003.jpg
    jeremy and jess pics 003.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 93
30psi all round for the SC and 60psi for the donut spare. Yes 40/44 (depending upon make) is the max. safe pressure for the tire. However, for the most even wear I've found 32psi front & 28psi rear works best (rotate & balance regularly as well, of course). Don't forget that for every 10 deg change in temperature (without taking into account atmospheric pressure) tire pressures will change by 1 psi. So if you last checked your tires in the summer months (say 90 deg) and now it's 40 deg - your 30 psi tires will already be down to 25psi !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back