supercharger fun

95scfan

well today I had to go on a little road trip about 150 miles in the sc and since I just had the clutch put in I thought what the hell I could use the miles so on the way back I heard this weird noise and I couldn't pin point it but I definatley think its comming from the charger. It only makes the noise when I am on the gas and when the hg on the guage is in the 20 range nothing but if I push the gas and it moves at all the noise starts so I gave it a little gas in a gear and it made the noise alot. So I am lead to believe thats its a bearing or lack of oil but have no idea what it could be I have searched and found a couple things on this and a coupler came up alot. Here is the really bad part I tried walmart for sc oil and they had nothing so I am screwed there but the bad part is the screw is stripped on the plug any ideas on how to get this off??? I am beginning to think about selling the car it has too many issues but when it does work right I love this car plus it is so rare please help me if you can

thanks alot

Last edited:
is it like a whine... like low power steering? if it is you could be low on oil... check underneath the SC snout... if its oily then u have a leaky snout seal... just go to the local GM dealer and get some supercharger oil and add it up... dont smash on it while its low on oil ur gonna burn up those bearings... also... dont smash on ur clutch... u need to break it in... around 300 miles if i am not mistaking...

yeah I have been very nice to the clutch I have put about 250 on it already I will check the oily bottom of it but I don't think there is any to speak of I was trying to wiggle the snout to see if it had any play in it (do I need to disconnect the belt to do this? I think it would help but the tool box I have is limited to a select few) How do I get the oil plug out if the bolt is jacked up?? It might just be low on oil I have never changed it (VERY BAD IDEA) but I have spent so much $$ on making it run it hasn't been up for it yet It needs it bad though
anymore ideas??

thanks

95scfan said:
yeah I have been very nice to the clutch I have put about 250 on it already I will check the oily bottom of it but I don't think there is any to speak of I was trying to wiggle the snout to see if it had any play in it (do I need to disconnect the belt to do this? I think it would help but the tool box I have is limited to a select few) How do I get the oil plug out if the bolt is jacked up?? It might just be low on oil I have never changed it (VERY BAD IDEA) but I have spent so much $$ on making it run it hasn't been up for it yet It needs it bad though
anymore ideas??

thanks
Its a supercoupe it will suck u dry and then take ur soul but it is one fun car to drive when its running. Just keep plugging away at it. I have a extra snout seal if u need one. Not sure on the plug have to just work at it. Kerr's doesnt have the sc oil in stock but they can get it in a day or 2.

Doug

If u decide to sell it in the future as posted above, Ill take her of ur hands!

A loud noise could simply be a vac line popped of one of the intake plenums behind the SC. As for the bolt, You can use a dremel cutting wheel and make a straight slot in the bolt head and use a regular screwdriver.

well before I get too far into this I just put in the subs in the car and when I drilled through the firewall It came out right behind the drivers front tire so I had to take out the inner fender well to get to it could I have done some damage to something in there? It didn't make the noise in the couple of hours that I didn't try to put it in then after it was all weird but I am almost sure that I didn't hit anything but have been wrong before. Also on the bottom of the snout there is alot of black carbon looking type build up could this be the engine dirt mixed with sc fluid? when I touched it, it wasn't wet just like I said a carbon build-up

more ideas?

thanks alot

I would never sell the sc I have put almost $2000 into a $3800 car so I am too far now but it would be nice if it was faster for all that ching ching!!!

if the snout seal is leaking it will be oily inside the back of the SC pulley and oil could be slung in a horizontal line across the bottom of your hood. the carbon buildup you're referring to is probably dust from one of your belts slipping .

that could be I haven't noticed anything like that but someone mentioned marbles in the engine some where and I must have that in the brain or it actually sounds like that but I think I have that going on. how long will this thing hold out? and is it safe to drive for a little while until I can get it looked at?

thanks

also I didn't notice any oil on the back of the oulley so could it still be a bearing? It kinda whined at me when I turned but the power steering used some of the boost since I wasn't on the gas so that could've made it whine but any help here is useful I hate to see the car in bad shape it delivers pizza to all the needy hotties in town :) ;)

Last edited:
Hello hello is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me... is there anyone at all?

thanks

I hope someone gets that

95scfan said:
I tried walmart for sc oil and they had nothing

I'm sorry, that's just too funny. :D

Mine was making a louder whine than usual the other day. I thought it was the sc, but turned out to be the power steering pump. :eek: I checked it, added very little and it still whines bad. :mad: I guess it's time for another one. :eek:

but it sounds like that when I am on the gas it also soundas like a belt or something is there a way to tell without it being loose on the snout??

thanks

it doesn't make the noise when I rev the engine from under the hood could it be the sc still or the power steering pump and is that behind the drivers side wheel well?

Last edited:
95scfan said:
but it sounds like that when I am on the gas it also soundas like a belt or something is there a way to tell without it being loose on the snout??

thanks

it doesn't make the noise when I rev the engine from under the hood could it be the sc still or the power steering pump and is that behind the drivers side wheel well?

If it is the power steering pump, it should whine louder when turning the steering wheel.

it only whines when I am in gear and on the gas a little bit but not when under the hood of the car

thanks

If it's not low on SC fluid

Pop the belt off ....after checking the wear guild....on the idler pulley
to see how much belt is left ....and still in range...... it's either a 16mm or 18mm wrench on the idler pulley..to take belt off ......the idler pulley bearing ..maybe starting to as well ..same could be said for altenator ,power streering ...best of luck....dave

Load

95scfan said:
but it only does it in a gear..........trans problem?

thanks
It maybe doing it in gear because you are putting a load on the engine instead of revving it unloaded like in park. This can sometime cause sounds that are not common any other time.

Smitty

95scfan said:
Hello hello is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me... is there anyone at all?

thanks

I hope someone gets that

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?
Come on, now,
I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain
Get you on your feet again.
Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts.
Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smokes on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain it you would not understand
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

I have become comfortably numb.

O.K.
Just a little pinprick.
There'll be no more aaaaaaaaah!
But you may feel a little sick.
Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working, good.
That'll keep you going through the show
Come on it's time to go.

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smokes on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child
I caught a flitting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown,
The dream is gone.
but I have become comfortably numb.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

Tracy

Last edited:
Lets not rag on this guy, Ok i would check the belt tension as stated above. also If your plug is worn thin, use a bigger allen on it or shave it down a little. If you pull out yellow thick oil change it! i just did mine. I used the Turbo 2800. Cheap and good. Forgot the web site but sombody will chime in here with it. good luck and dont waste miles on pizza with it. :p Get a beater for that,Stop and go trafic is SC worst nightmare! Needs to get out on the freeway and open up.

I know I don't need to use it on pizza but the bank is broken with the sc and I have to drive it to make money and I make money to keep it running so its a vicious cycle but I love the sc's although its sometimes a handful

can some explain the "putting a load on it" and can I do it while I am under the hood?
I think and this is dangerous The load you all speak of is when the engine has to work harded to overcome the load.....YES??????? I could always put it on jack stands in the back and run it in 3rd and use the throttle under the hood and see if I can isolate the sound

thanks alot

p.s. I knew someone would get it I love PINK FLOYD!!!!!!!!!!

Back