ARC Problems

5LEater

After I drive my SC for about 10 miles, the suspension switches to Firm any time I make a slow 90° turn like pulling out from an intersection. Would a bad shock cause this? Occasionally I get a left front error code but I can ususally clear it. The error code is only set if I manually put the suspension into Firm mode. Any input is appreciated.

Update

OK, I believe after further investigation that the problem may be temperature related. If the car is running cool (~170-190°), I usually don't have the problem described above. Once the car is hot enough for the fan to turn on, the suspension switches to firm whenever I make a slow turn less than 15mph. If I take the same turn at 20-25mph, no firm ride. I know this isn't a major problem but it gets annoying you make a turn onto a rough road and you bust a kidney for no apparent reason. Any other suggestions as to the source of the problem would be appreciated.

This is just my .02 since I am still learning the finer details of the complexity of the SC's. The car senses when you are turning by feeling the g forces of the turn and the speed of the turn. If you are in Soft mode, the ARC will switch to Firm while the conditions exist during the turn. The sensors that coordinate this may be faulty or oversensitive with age. The factory shop manual should explain how this automatic suspension functions and what sensors perform the task. My shop manual is still with my buddy who I helped remove his automatic from his 35th. He fixed it and is driving it now and I guess I need to go pound on his door to retrieve my manual. Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps others will chime in here and follow up. Best of luck to you.

The G sensor could also be sensitive to position.. Thus if it's been knocked out of it's proper plane it may be more sensitive to a certain turn over another.

I don't know enough about the ARC to really say. I assume the sensor is in the ARC module.

mine activates into firm mode when I hit a little bump...ie. pothole, traintracks....whatever.

Back