will '91 SC rear brakes fit a '89 mustang GT?

nuerburgring

Hi,
I'm from the country where you can drive 130MPH all day without getting shot by the law.......Germany Yes . :D
This causes some problems for my brakes :mad:
I installed HAWK (nascar ) pads on the front which eat rotors for breakfast but work acceptable , but the rear drums are frequently smoking a bit after getting of the highway (no there is no oil leak........ :p )
I would like to change to disc brakes but do not want to pay the full price for new conversions.
I can get a 91 SC for 800 buck with a broken brake booster.
So here's the question :

What parts from the SC can i somehow fit on the GT (brake and suspension wise) and make better use of my car ??

Thanks in advance for your support !!

Regards,
Mad Matt

Nope, completely different brakes and suspension.

87 - 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe rear brakes are the closest to being a bolt-on for the 87 - 93 Mustang.

For a reasonably priced aftermarket kit, check out Stainless Steel Brakes.

CLICKY !!

cheers
Ed N.

look into some brakes off a Lincoln LSC Mark VII. I swapped over the stock brakes (4cyl stuff) on my 88 stang to the lincoln brakes, and they work great. But im still usin the stock spindles. Just used a set of GT rotors, LSC Calipers. For the rear brakes you'd have to swap out axles since the mustang is 4 lug and the lincoln is 5 lug.

Blown 91 Bird

Blown 91 Bird said:
look into some brakes off a Lincoln LSC Mark VII. I swapped over the stock brakes (4cyl stuff) on my 88 stang to the lincoln brakes, and they work great. But im still usin the stock spindles. Just used a set of GT rotors, LSC Calipers. For the rear brakes you'd have to swap out axles since the mustang is 4 lug and the lincoln is 5 lug.
Blown 91 Bird; Can you Please be more specific? Our friend is from Germany and may not understand your reply! Hell, I'm not sure "I" understand what you're saying either.

Confused 68COUGAR

Last edited:
some people have bolted the SC rear section to the Fox chassis and converted the bolt pattern over, it does take some work<--this was before the Cobra IRSs

Mad Matt

I don't know if you're American or German, But WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!

I had my '89 XR-7 in Germany, so I know about Fun on the Autobahn!!!!

Now lets talk about Brakes! My XR-7 came with semi-metallic brake pads. For an american car, they work Great...............at american speeds!

BUT...........At autoban speeds (average 130 mph), semi-metallics QUICKLY gave up to panic autobahn stops. I know that YOU know Panic Autobahn stops!!!!

Then I tried some "Racing Brake Pads". I still don't know who made'em. They looked like shavings off a metal lathe, & pressed together in the form of a brake pad. I think they were Full Metalic racing pads. They were Wonderful at supersonic autobahn speeds, But Crappy on the streets of Kaiserslautern!!!!!

I'm no longer in Germany, but I have found the brakes that wished I had 16 yrs ago. They are Porterfield R4-S.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html

I have on my '89 XR-7 now. They stop faster than the Full Metallic's I used in Germany. They have ZERO brake dust!!!!!!!! AND they are worth Every Penny that they cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, BTW: the Porterfields show NO unusual rotor wear.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
Blown 91 Bird; Can you Please be more specific? Our friend is from Germany and may not understand your reply! Hell, I'm not sure "I" understand what you're saying either.

Confused 68COUGAR

ok im sorry :confused:

i assume he has a mustang since he said "GT", and most likely has a 8.8 in it. (I could be wrong..may have a 7.5, dont know about his car). But if he does, a cheap upgrade is to swap the brakes from a Lincoln LSC Mark VII. Since he has drum rears, he needs the rotors which are 5 lug, he most likely has 4 lug now.. so he'd have to switch out axles so everything will work. Luckily i already did a disc conversion on the rear in my 88 GT (4cyl swap car) and just went with the better LSC calipers.

But like i said, this is all assuming he has a 8.8 rear and not a 7.5. Which would be fine as well..can get rear disc setup from 94+ v6 mustangs the only problem is the axles are longer (and you still need to switch to a 5 lug axle).

Hope i made it a little clearer.

and btw.. if you do indeed have an 8.8, and want to just upgrade axles..you can get a Explorer center section pretty cheap which is 31 spline that'll hold a good amount of power :) (assuming you can get things like this in germany)

Thanks a lot !!!!

Hi Guys ,

Thanks a lot for your help, this saves me a trip to look at the SC car i wanted to buy. Any thoughts on the broken brake booster that the owner claims is broken? A friend here might be wanting the whole car as driver.
I knew about the T-bird turbo coupe rear axle and discs but they are harder to find in Europe then a unmolested Civic in the states since the fast and the furious ........
I will concentrate on making the GT run on propane first as gas prices are not funny anymore.....i spend about 600 dollar a month in fuel to drive my Infiniti Q45t to work !!!!! 60 mile trip per day .

Btw i was born in Amsterdam (netherlands ) and live in Germany now for one year........i know some about US cars and versions as i lived in Florida (Orlando area) in 1997 (LSC is luxery version of Lincoln with funny air suspension ! :cool: )

Last edited:
question :
How much work is it to swap the rear suspension from the SC into a '89 mustang GT?
Is the SC suspension like a full package that just bolts to the chassis like an old Jag ?
And would the Sc (blower) work on a stock 5.0 HO from the GT , with low boost to get some more tire shredding torque?

Thanks for the help.

nuerburgring said:
question :
How much work is it to swap the rear suspension from the SC into a '89 mustang GT?
Is the SC suspension like a full package that just bolts to the chassis like an old Jag ?
And would the Sc (blower) work on a stock 5.0 HO from the GT , with low boost to get some more tire shredding torque?

Thanks for the help.

not too sure why you'd wanna put the IRS from a SC in a mustang, esp. if you wanna put a blower on too. What year mustang do you have?

As for putting an M90 on a 302.. seems a bit small and would be somewhat of a restriction on a 302. Could be wrong though.

Back