radiator fan and brakes

THUMPER SC

:confused: Any ideas about my radiator fan not coming on at all, not even when the A/C is turned on.
Do you Guys have schematics on the electrical 1990 SC Special edition.
Auto tranny.

Also do you have the sequence on bleeding the brake system?
Thank you!

:confused:

Looks like you got forgotten here buddy. The fans won't come on if the fusible link is blown (earlier SC's had a fusible link in the power wire - actually better than the big fuses used in 94/95); your a/c refrigerant charge is low or there is a problem with your compressor (check to see if the compressor runs on a/c & then try putting it on the defroster - it should also bring on the compressor & fans). The fan motors (2 speeds could be fried), only the low speed comes on with the a/c so maybe just that winding has gone bad. If you know how to run a KOEO or KOER tests with a code reader or jumper wire that should also make the fans run (test). Or finally it's possible that the IRCM relay (in front of the air filter box) is bad. I'd start with the defroster, and the KOEO tests first, plus you can always disconnect the fan harness and, if you are comfortable with using a pair of heavy gauge wires (one with a decent fuse in line, like atleast 30amps) you could jump the fan from the battery.
As far as the brake bleeding is concerned the cheap old Haynes manual would help you - but basically you bleed the fronts in the traditional way and the rears have to be bled the ABS way; which involves turning on the ignition to activate the ABS pump and then releasing the bleed screw for about 10 seconds (don't pump the brake pedal because the system is already charged by having the ignition on). You just keep repeating the ignition on - 10 sec release until you are sufficiently bled (all the air out).
Hope that helps.
Some people don't like the Haynes manual but for $16 at your local auto parts store it's pretty good for the average DIY owner.

Jim Joisey (radiator fan and brakes question)

Jim, I got your reply the very next day but I did not have time to answer to thank you due to my traveling.
It was great information and I have printed and I will try that.
Thank you so much!

Regards, Tony Barragan "THUMPER SC":)

Back