What do you think of this CAI?

superdupercoupe

I'm looking for a CAI for my new to me '92 SC to start my first mod. I came across this one from C&L and want to know what you guys think for $92 shipped. It is a MAFS forward kit and comes with:

[3] piece ABS ¼" plastic intake pipes with MAF Coupler
[1] Polycarbonate high gloss black unbreakable cover plates
[1] Raven Black/Chrome Decal
[1] Green Filter #2024

It is installed in place of the factory air box and air silencer must be removed. They claim the ABS plastic better disaptes the heat over metal/chrome and has "tunability", enabling two distinct filter positions/system lengths allows much closer dial-in to individual motor characteristics.

sys7-158.jpg

Last edited:
general concensus on the board is that your MAF is going to act wacky with those kinds of bends in front of it, but it seems to me that this set up should really be an ideal in terms of cold air and airflow... i think i remember someone saying that they lengthened the straight part before the MAF to create a more uniform flow to help recalibrate the sensor. I also thought that maybe if there were some kinds of rifling marks on the inside, it might help reduce the turbulence around the outside edge and help your MAF get a clearer reading.

To Bend or Not to Bend?

ThunderCoupe said:
general concensus on the board is that your MAF is going to act wacky with those kinds of bends in front of it, but it seems to me that this set up should really be an ideal in terms of cold air and airflow... i think i remember someone saying that they lengthened the straight part before the MAF to create a more uniform flow to help recalibrate the sensor. I also thought that maybe if there were some kinds of rifling marks on the inside, it might help reduce the turbulence around the outside edge and help your MAF get a clearer reading.
There are people here who challenge the excepted "normal" We always look for ways to go faster, outside the usual "BTDT" box.

straightest path= best path :)

well here is mine.. made on a budget by previous owner, but its decent, and filter goes in a place where your getting cool air, lol. but it does kind of a nose-dive.. oh well

TbirdEngine.jpg

Last edited:
superdupercoupe said:
They claim the ABS plastic better disaptes the heat over metal/chrome and has "tunability", enabling two distinct filter positions/system lengths allows much closer dial-in to individual motor characteristics.
A lot of meaningless double talk here. They are saying that plastic disapates heat better than metal? On what planet? Hmmmmmmmmmm, why is it then, that heat sinks are made out of metal? Radiators disipate heat and are made out of metal. Why aren't they made of plastic?

I believe what they were attempting, yet failed to say, is that the plastic is better at preventing underhood heat from heating the incoming air charge.

Regardless if the filter is roatated to ANY position, the air path remains the same. The air still enters through the filter, and procedes through the same bend. That is not "tuneability", it's convienience.

"dial-in to individual motor characteristics". More meaningless double speak, that Ricers love to throw around.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
A lot of meaningless double talk here. They are saying that plastic disapates heat better than metal? On what planet? Hmmmmmmmmmm, why is it then, that heat sinks are made out of metal? Radiators disipate heat and are made out of metal. Why aren't they made of plastic?

I believe what they were attempting, yet failed to say, is that the plastic is better at preventing underhood heat from heating the incoming air charge.

Regardless if the filter is roatated to ANY position, the air path remains the same. The air still enters through the filter, and procedes through the same bend. That is not "tuneability", it's convienience.

"dial-in to individual motor characteristics". More meaningless double speak, that Ricers love to throw around.

68COUGAR

At what point does a cone filter become necessary? Or rather, when do I need MORE airflow? I think it's K&N's site that says the square filter in the stock airbox is good for 300hp? Trying to remember, don't crucify me...

K&N panel vs. K&N cone

JStudrawa said:
At what point does a cone filter become necessary? Or rather, when do I need MORE airflow?
I used the square K&N for Many years. In fact I bought it straight from K&N as soon as it came out. Cost $60 back then! I went low 14's with the K&N panel. Probably could have gone quicker, but I upgraded my whole intake system, so who knows! It Would be interesting to find out the quickest SC using the K&N panel.

68COUGAR

Thanks for everybodies respone. I might just start with the air silencer delete and a K&N since I got nothing for mods yet anyways. :D

Back