Looking to buy 1990 with 90,000 mi

D

dariennunn

Hi,

The car looks and runs awesome (1 owner). It's leaking a little oil, the owner thinks it's the rear main seal. Is that a known issue with these cars? What else should I look at?

Thanks,
Darien

dariennunn said:
Hi,

The car looks and runs awesome (1 owner). It's leaking a little oil, the owner thinks it's the rear main seal. Is that a known issue with these cars? What else should I look at?

Thanks,
Darien

IT is possible, but it is less common than a head gasket leak, which is one of the most common things to happen to the sc's

Leaky rear main seals are very common on Thunderbirds and Mustangs. About a $12.00 part that carries a 5+ hour labor charge!!!

dariennunn said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Darien

I bought my 90 SC in June 2000 with about 106k on it and it also had a leaky rear main; never leaked enough to have to add oil but it would make a small puddle on the garage floor. I figued I'd fix it if and when the tranny had to come out. But the tranny never broke so I just lived with it.

I just sold this car at 140,000 miles and the only problems I had were the cam sensor and DIS module. Awesome car and very reliable in my experience. But they are a PITA to work on. Head gaskets can be an issue, the main thing here is to flush the cooling system at least every 2 years and install new coolant to prevent electrolysis, and a better flowing exhaust system will help the HG's live longer too.

Back