HYPERTECH rules!!!!!!

• Thread starter xThunderbirdSCx
  • Start date
X

xThunderbirdSCx

Not...I was at Dave's today to get a chip and to my dismay, my o2 sensors are seized up :mad: . My car was running lean and pinging under bost so i fugured it was time for a tune. He pulled out the ECU and SURPRISE! There was a 10 year old hypertech chip from 1994 :eek: . Stupid piece of junk. I didnt even know i had one of these on there since im like the 19th and a half owner of this car :p . Who knows when it was out on, but god knows the thing didnt do anything! Now my car runs fine without it, no pinging or nothin. Now...where to find some bowties to smack up on... :D
hypertechchip4rl.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of those Hypertech chips way back when there was nothing else avalible....all it did was make the car run hotter.

David

David Neibert said:
I bought one of those Hypertech chips way back when there was nothing else avalible....all it did was make the car run hotter.

David

Well, since I couldn't get the WB02 on his car, all I can guess is that it probably leaned the car out and possibly added timing. It might have worked OK on a stock car but it's completely incompatable with a modified one.

They used to sell those with a pulley back in the day. I di dnotice a difference on my basically stock 89 back then however when it was hot out I pinged. I;m sure an SC wityh high miles and lots of carbon build up would ping all the time with it.

Most likely advanced timing

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
They used to sell those with a pulley back in the day. I di dnotice a difference on my basically stock 89 back then however when it was hot out I pinged. I;m sure an SC wityh high miles and lots of carbon build up would ping all the time with it.

Most likely advanced timing

Not carbon buildup in this case. Bill's car has new heads and I cleaned the carbon off the pistons. When the chip was installed we even tried pulling the octane plug (removes 4 deg timing) and it still detonated. My vote goes to more timing (but I'm sure not more than 4 deg), that would be excessive but more than anything else leaned out the motor.

Like I said, it may work on a stock motor but apparently since this car has pulley, ported heads, exhaust and CAI, it was just too lean. In contrast, my old Superchips chip would make my car faster even with heads, cam, longtubes, etc. The Superchips version added fuel and removed timing. At least that is what Superchips told me back in the day. Not that I would recommend either one necessarily, but the Superchip chip used to make my car run about .2 sec quicker (I was running mid 13's at the time).

Toms-SC said:
Sweet, belongs in a museum
I've got that beat. I've still got a Kenne Bell Switch Chip from way back. It had 2 settings. Even the "Mild" setting had my car detonating. Kenne Bell suggested that I needed new plugs, wires and a bigger fuel pump and everything would be fine. They did offer a limited time money-back guarantee, but I was traveling so much with my job I couldn't collect. Now I just keep it for the memories. :D

Kurt K said:
I've got that beat. I've still got a Kenne Bell Switch Chip from way back. It had 2 settings. Even the "Mild" setting had my car detonating. Kenne Bell suggested that I needed new plugs, wires and a bigger fuel pump and everything would be fine. They did offer a limited time money-back guarantee, but I was traveling so much with my job I couldn't collect. Now I just keep it for the memories. :D

Knowing you Kurt, you probably have 2 of them. :p

Back