Rear main seal issues

DazedNConfuzed

Been tackling the clutch/slave cyl on my car, while i was in there i wanted to do the rear main since i had a little leak and i did not want to continue running 20W50 oil. Got the rear main out, noticed there is a little groove on the crank worn from the seal. I know National/BCA makes the redi-sleeves but i couldn't find one readily without mail ordering. I got the OEM seal in my hand. I'm just thinking about tapping it in, just not as deep as it was stock so it would ride on a new spot on the crank. Theres enough room behind the flywheel for it.
BTW when i mean not as deep, just MM difference, just enough to ride in a new spot... Also that pilot bearing was a PITA to get out, tried the grease thing, got my damn extension stuck in it, tried a slider hammer and that didn't get it out, ended up using an air hammer to break the thing in two.

I don't think that will stop the leak from coming back. The speedi sleeve is about the only real option. I had a near smooth crank end and since I couldn't detect a groove, I just installed the new seal w/o the sleeve. Well 6 months later.. drip.. drip.. drip :( Napa carries them and I think Oriellys does too. :)

Back