AC Probs.....

Thunder139

Guys,

I bought my 90 SC with the knowledge that the AC compressor was just put on and that it had been converted to R134A.

I went to get it charged, and the mechanic said that the system was "converted" but not done correctly:mad:. He somehow placed two high side fittings on the system, and did not replace the dryer or any other components. He did replace the compressor, but is now full of crap and which then clogged the low side hose. I was able get most of the crap out of the hose, but the compressor is still full of it. I think that the compressor has a year warranty on it, do you think that I could get it replaced with out any cost? Also has does anyone know the cost of a dryer or a low side hose?

Thanks

Shawn

I went to get it charged, and the mechanic said that the system was "converted" but not done correctly. He somehow placed two high side fittings on the system, and did not replace the dryer or any other components.
Probably done with a kit.

He did replace the compressor, but is now full of crap and which then clogged the low side hose. I was able get most of the crap out of the hose, but the compressor is still full of it.
When you say lowside hose, I assume you are talking about the hose going from the black canister (accumulator) forwards/down/around/into the compressor and NOT the liquid line which comes out of the condenser and into the evaporator.
That being the case.. what happened is this: your dessicant bag blew. Its inside the accumulator and when it ruptures, the beads of water absorbing stuff gets sucked into the suction line. You may be able to clean it out. Likewise, I don't think you have much to lose by cleaning the compressor out. Drain as much crud out as you can, then clean it out with brake cleaner (soak/shake/drain/repeat). Normally you wouldn't do this, but if you avoid turning the shaft, I would think it would survive OK. Once you have it cleaned out, add 1-2 oz of compressor oil (not PAG which is probably what you'll use later) and turn the compressor shaft by hand to see if its working OK.
Now, the fun part... look closely at your high side line. I'll bet it needs cleaning. If so, you may need to flush the condenser also. If you're lucky, maybe it didn't make it through. But that also means you should probably replace the liquid line (with a built in Otube) also. You may be lucky and see no build up, but it really comes down to how much crud made it into the condenser.

I think that the compressor has a year warranty on it, do you think that I could get it replaced with out any cost? Also has does anyone know the cost of a dryer or a low side hose?
They probably won't replace it if you don't have the receipts showing that you replaced the drier and liquid line when you replaced the compressor. This happens a lot, and the manufacturers have become more stringent about how the job is done.
The accumulator (drier) can be bought at just about any parts place for around $40-$50. A low side line is part of the manifold.. the manifold connected to the high side line, so the whole thing is 1 big part and isn't very cheap. You can check parts places or partsamerica.com, ackits.com, etc.
Be sure to read the article on black death at ackits.com.

How Much of this Can i do

How Much of this Can i do. I'm not wanting to get reamed at the shop, and i don't know if they will do it anyway.

Shawn

You should be able to do all of the flush part yourself. I'm rather miserly when it comes to repairs.. generally, if I can fix something, rather than replace it, I will. But, with the way the A/C is designed on Ford cars, there really aren't many short cuts if you want it to last more than one season.

Forget what I said about flushing the compressor.. it isn't possible. I found this out for myself by pulling my old one apart.. there are reed valves (sort of like what you'd find in a harmonica..but round) in there which aren't cleanable. If dessicant worked itself into the compressor, you only have 2 options: replace, or dissassemble and clean. BTW, thats not as hard as you think, in fact its rather easy if you're mechanicly inclined.

So here's my cheapest, but with some risk that you might still have problems solution:

- Flush the suction line (soak/shake/soak/blow out/repeat until clean) + manifold + high pressure lines with brake cleaner.

- Look real close at the condenser inlet.. _IF_ its clean and the high pressure line didn't yield much crud when you cleaned it, then PTL.. your condenser is probably just fine. If not, then REMOVE the condenser. You have to remove the radiator to do this, but not the IC. Fill it about 1/4 of the way with solvent. Tilt/twirl/flip around to work that solvent allll the way through.. then put some more in and repeat. Don't drain it yet.. (soak/shake/soak/repeat.. then drain by pushing compressed air through..drain it into something where you can see the contaminants. Compressed air can be provided with lung power and a section of rubber hose.. Now, do all of that again until the solvent comes out clean. Let it dry out for a couple of hours.

- This part I don't recommend much, but like I said.. cheapest solution... Remove the liquid line and reverse flush from the evaporator hookup backwards to the condenser.. Thats the end with the larger fitting. Pay close attention to the amount of contaminants which come out.

- It shouldn't be necessary to flush the evaporator, but do it if you wish. Be sure to let it dry completely.

- Get a new accumulator. No way around this.. its the savior of your system.. and yours is shot anyways. Keep it capped until the last minute to keep the dessicant dry.

- Now, about the compressor... Here's the deal.. Is it clean? Is there any gobs of melted dessicant in it? If so, you can replace it, or pull it apart and clean it. Its too involved for me to describe for now, so you'll have to get back with me if thats your choice.

- Now, put it all back together and add oil (PAG should be OK this time). 1 oz to the condenser, 1oz to the evaporator, 2 oz to the accumulator, 6oz to the compressor for a total of 10. Coat all new Orings with mineral oil and hook it all back up. Spin the compressor 10 times by hand to clear the oil out before you run it.

- Take it to an A/C shop where they can vaccuum and charge the refrigerant. They have the hoses and equipment to do this right and fast.

Thats about it. The cheapest solution I can think of. The risk is a partially clogged, and hence not as effective, condenser and a clogged Otube (No chance for cold air if this is the case).

Hope this helps.:D

Back