Rev limiter problem

BLOWN38

SCCoA Member
Ok, i have a 95 auto with 42 lb injecters, 80mm lightning MAFS, 75mm TB, 255lph fuel pump, copper spark plugs gapped at .032", stock plug wires and a chip from SCT with rev limiter raised to 6000 rpm at least.

The problem i'm having is it is still limiting at 5200 rpm's

I've swapped these parts from a friends 94 auto including the EEC, EDIS module had my chip with his tune in my EEC my tune in his EEC. My friends car is set to limit at 6000rpms and does with no problems, he has basiclly the same mods.

What parts or systems might be causing it to stay at the stock setting?

Please help!

I don't think the mods have any bearing. 1994/5 auto trans have the same rev & speed limiters. I know mine cuts out at 127mph, not sure about the rpm's though. The only way I know to overcome that is with a custom chip or EEC tuner. If you are having problems reaching 6000rpm in 3rd or O/D then it's probably the speed limiter.
Just a thought.

I think even during the dyno tune he said that he set your limiter at 8 grand and yet it was still limited at 5200. I can't think of anything else that would limit things to 5200 besides the computer and we eleminited that as the problem by putting my computer in your car. You did try a new chip as well, right?

maybe valve float from lifter pump up or weak valvesprings, fuel supply from weak pump or dirty filter, more yhings than ignition can cause rpm limits.

I'm pretty sure its a computer control problem and not a mechanical problem the whole engine has 18,000 miles on it except for the balancer, but thats another story. I do have 1.80 roller rockers with a stock cam and Jason has the same thing with no problems. The only thing i didn't get to try on your thoughts, bobber, was the fuel filter.

What does valve float feel like? Cause mine definatly feels as something is being cut out by the computer whether its fuel or spark. Cause i can get it up there come off of it and do it again without any loss of performance besides the actuall limiter.

Does the multifunction relay module have anything to do with engine control besides fans and such?

Thanks for any input.

The last car that I had with valve float was a 65 Mustang. at about 6000 rpm it would stop reving and engine note would change. I replaced valvesprings and retainers with Isky pieces and it would rev to 6500 then begain to miss and the tach would act crazy so I replaced the stock points with Accell and it then would wind to 7300. The same car at the strip with open headers would shut off at 6000 in third gear for 1/2 second then pull the rest of the 1/4 only with open headers but thru the mufflers no problem. While looking under the car I noticed the fuel line running down the inner frame rail right where hot header gases would hit it. Vapor lock. Relocated fuel line to other side of frame rail problem solved. Car would run a 13.0 second quarter after that. This may not help but just trying to point out how different problems can cause similiar symtoms. Does it happen at same rpm in erery gear?

Mine is more like what u would hear at the dragstrip when a race car is staged and ready to launch. I believe it did it at the same point in second i usually don't take it there in second. the reason i am concerned is because i was putting N2O on it and didn't want it to cut fuel on the 1-2 shift like it was starting to do cause i was making more power, and it is spinnig up quicker.

Yeah thats a wicked sound when the two step is holding launch rpm and the headers are open. As far as sound any misfire from primary or secondary ignition or lean fuel and even floating intake valves sounds similar. Floating exhaust valves really make a racket out the exhaust. mechanical problems and primary ignition are pretty much same rpm in any gear. secondary ignition will very with load and be sooner in higher gears. I even had a tach cause high speed miss on 56 chevy. Look for other clues boost related, throttle related, gear related etc.

Back