air silencer??

The air intake silencer is found by removing the passenger side splash guard from the front fender.

1. Remove airbox
2. Undo the three nuts found under the filter
3. Remove bottom half of the airbox
4. Remove passenger side splash guard
5. Remove air-silencer. (Hard to miss.. it's huge)

Putting everything back together should be pretty obvious. Job will probably take 30 minutes.

Nothing but advantages. "slightly" better throttle response, maybe a couple HP (if that).....best thing about it....killer blower whine!

Depending on what model SC you have you might be able to do a nice mod. On 94-95 SC's the top of the silencer can be removed by unscrewing 3 bolts....this piece is PERFECT for attaching a cone filter which will be fender mount and feed directly to your air box. STock look....fender mount cone filter. I ran this set up in my car for a while.

thanks....

thanks for information. its a 1994, some mods already but yours sounds interesting. not sure about how it would be a fender mount and why i would want a cone filter as i have a k&n already? hum? can i have a bit more information on a cone filter? advantages? thanks again, all on this site are great folks willing to help, that is a rarety.

CaifanSC said:
Nothing but advantages. "slightly" better throttle response, maybe a couple HP (if that).....best thing about it....killer blower whine!

Depending on what model SC you have you might be able to do a nice mod. On 94-95 SC's the top of the silencer can be removed by unscrewing 3 bolts....this piece is PERFECT for attaching a cone filter which will be fender mount and feed directly to your air box. STock look....fender mount cone filter. I ran this set up in my car for a while.

When you take out your silencer you'll see how much room you have there...on my 94 i have a 9" cone filter fitted in that location. Im guessing you have a panel (square) K&N that fits inside your air box....thats good too, but i think the consensus is that the cone filter is better (somebody please correct me if im wrong)

This mod using the top part of the air silencer is better than stock, but not better than a metal cold air intake. You landed in the right place for sc's my friend. AWesome peeps here.

tbird3.8sc said:
thanks for information. its a 1994, some mods already but yours sounds interesting. not sure about how it would be a fender mount and why i would want a cone filter as i have a k&n already? hum? can i have a bit more information on a cone filter? advantages? thanks again, all on this site are great folks willing to help, that is a rarety.
A cone filter mounted in the fenderwell will prevent it from sucking hot air. Some people use a straight pipe or the stock tube with a cold air divider. You're still gonna get engine heat that way. The disadvantage to having it in the fender is that it will catch a lot of dust and have to be cleaned rather regularly. This can be a pain depending on how you have it mounted in there. I enlarged the air silencer hole so I can pull my cone filter right up through it to clean. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68477&highlight=CAI

Back