PDA

View Full Version : need a cam - help

fastang
11-03-2005, 01:36 AM
hey guys i am new to the board and need some help looking for a new cam. i was woundering what kinda of cams(specs) work good w/ the sc and who makes the the closest to those specs without a regrind. i don't like regrinds because i have had vac problems with them before. i have 1.8 RR, ported and polished heads, ported lower, ported blower, stock ic and pipes, stock tb and maf, dual exhaust. i want to get the most timing as i can possible from the cam. i have a sct unit which i will also get a tuned afterwards.

*EDIT - i just read most of the other topic that is currently going on about cams and if you could cut out the BS in this one - i just want to know of personal experence with a good cam that is not a regrind. i would like to know the specs and price. i will read the bad sellers report before sending money.

thanks in advance

Rich

68COUGAR
11-03-2005, 03:40 AM
i don't like regrinds because i have had vac problems with them before.
How does regrinding a cam cause vac. problems? The only difference between grinding an original cam, & regrinding one, is what the metal looks like before you start.

Confused 68COUGAR

fastang
11-03-2005, 03:46 AM
How does regrinding a cam cause vac. problems? The only difference between grinding an original cam, & regrinding one, is what the metal looks like before you start.

Confused 68COUGAR

i have used regrinds of cams and have had vac problems where my brakes would not work properly because not enough vac was present. a car w/o brake is a broblem in my books. i find that new cams don't have that problem - well that i have come across.

68COUGAR
11-03-2005, 04:13 AM
i have used regrinds of cams and have had vac problems where my brakes would not work properly because not enough vac was present. i find that new cams don't have that problem.
I thought that's where you might be going. What you are talking about is a product of valve overlap, not regrinding. Regrinding often increases the lift, but not much can be done about the original overlap, unless you go with a radical ramp profile, like the Comp. Extreme Energy. You're not going to change the LSA much. A tight pattern is gonna be a tight regrind. Same goes for a wide pattern. But with a new custom ground cam, you're not limited to the confines of the original profile.

68COUGAR

fastang
11-03-2005, 01:33 PM
yes i know and i do not want to limit myself. so your reccomendation is comps cams extreme energy? do you have any personal experence with this cam? i will check out comp cams web site. anyone else with a suggestion???

thanks

Rich

XR7 Dave
11-03-2005, 02:16 PM
The comp cams listed on their website are generic profiles. However, they should work ok for you.

Most people on this site go for a custom grind. Cost is about the same.

JStudrawa
11-03-2005, 02:16 PM
The comp cams listed on their website are generic profiles. However, they should work ok for you.

Most people on this site go for a custom grind. Cost is about the same.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69574