Will a chip help a 5-speed?

dklitzke

I have been driving an SC with an automatic now for a few years, and when I installed a Brian Herron chip in it, the car's drivability really changed for the better. I now have a 5-speed SC and wonder if a chip will do the same for it. I realize part of the benefit of a chip in an auto is the firmer shifts, but also the fuel/air ratios are altered too, which is where I would maybe expect to see some improved performance. What about it, youse guys? :D

Don
Prospect TN

1995 SC auto, ART CARR parts in rebuilt trans, BBK TB/MAF (75mm), SCP Kooks headers/exhaust, SCP intake, faded but I like it.

1995 SC 5-speed ultra low miles (22k) black, stock, future stainless exhaust with Borla or Magnaflow pieces, MP stuff, the usual upgrades (sloid mounts, etc).

The only real difference I can see between the chip on the Auto vs the chip on the Manual is the tranny (duh.) Most chips are going to bump transmission line pressure during the shift which is what give them that firmer engagement. I'd hazard a guess that you'd see more in the way of HP gains with the chipped Manual SC due to less driveline loss.

Other than that, nothing I can think of (at 6:30am hah) should be all that different.

A chip will prevent a modded SC from running too lean or too rich. It helps air/fuel like you said, and it works with boost psi to alter the timing of the engine. They do help alot after you start to mod the car. Ask Dave Dalke about it.

A chip in a 5spd car is not going to make it shift any better than it did before. Only thing its going to do is make the engine run better and make more power.

Shane

quick35th said:
A chip in a 5spd car is not going to make it shift any better than it did before. Only thing its going to do is make the engine run better and make more power.

Shane

Alright you guys,

You sold me on a chip for the 5-speed. :D As soon as I get the exhaust, MP inlet plenum, MAF/TB/intake done, and also a 180 degree theromstat, I'll contact Mr. Dave Dalke and get a chip burned for the car. I won't be home from Iraq till around the first of the new year, so it'll be awhile yet. Thanks.

Don
Prospect TN

1995 SCs: auto with Art Carr hardened rebuilt trans, BBK 75mm MAF/TB, SCP/Kooks exhaust

5-speed: 22k miles, bone stock, soon to have the above mentioned upgrades.

Back