Aluminum Clutch

ThunderCoupe

so if the m5r2 can be bolted to a 5.0 and a t-5 transmission can be bolted to an SC engine... can an aluminum flywheel for a SBF or any car with a t-5 be used?

ThunderCoupe said:
so if the m5r2 can be bolted to a 5.0 and a t-5 transmission can be bolted to an SC engine... can an aluminum flywheel for a SBF or any car with a t-5 be used?

yes I gonna have an aluminum flywheel with my m5r2 and 5.0 motor it will work fine as long as you have the right imbalance and the right tooth count

so then what is the right tooth count? The teeth mate with the starter right? so then how many do we need for the stock starter? what other starter could be used/ could a different be used with a different flywheel?

ThunderCoupe said:
so then what is the right tooth count? The teeth mate with the starter right? so then how many do we need for the stock starter? what other starter could be used/ could a different be used with a different flywheel?

164tooth is stock sc

Stock 5.0L and aftermarket aluminum flywheels are .28 imbalanced. The SC stock and aftermarket flywheel is 0 balanced.

Shane

quick35th said:
Stock 5.0L and aftermarket aluminum flywheels are .28 imbalanced. The SC stock and aftermarket flywheel is 0 balanced.

Shane

correction stock 5.0 are 50oz imbalance

If they have removeable weights, that would not be a bad price on evil bay. You boys quit fighting, your both right. What I have found in the past is there are certain things that come with a "0" balance. when you get it in the mail you slap the correct weight on and hit the bricks. Balancers and flywheels. This MAY be the same with these. If it is, he would just need the MOOSTANG starter and he would be Good Ta Go....

Chris

x182dan said:
correction stock 5.0 are 50oz imbalance
I'll add a correction to this as well. A 5.0 HO motor is 50oz counter balanced. However, not all 50oz are located in the flywheel. The weight is split between the balancer and the flywheel. I think there is something like 38oz in the balancer and 12oz in the flywheel. Also, all the T5 trannys used a 10.5" clutch, where the SC uses a 11-11.5". Just something to be aware about. I'm almost certain this info is correct.

Last edited:
This topic has been covered many times.

The problem with the 4.6 is the bellhousing bolt pattern. Also, some 4.6's have an 8 bolt flywheel, the SC is a 6 bolt. A 4.6 nut could tell you which is which. So it's not that it won't work, its just that it can be complicated and so generally it's not worth the trouble.

Anyway, you must use a 164 tooth flywheel on the M5R2 tranny. Location of the starter is key here. A Mustang flywheel and starter will not work unless it is a 94-95 5.0 because they used the 164 tooth flywheel and 11" clutch (or so I'm told).

Some of the early Mustangs used the 164 tooth flywheel but the bolt pattern for the PP is wrong. Most aftermarket flywheels have dual bolt patterns so you can use them. The 94/95 Mustang and 89-96 F150 flywheel will work with the matching starter. I'm assuming 97-up V6 F150 applications will work also provided you use the matching starter.

As far as I know the alignment of the ring gear is different on ALL non-SC applications of the 164 tooth flywheel. So if you get NON-SC flywheel, you'll need the right starter. A fox body Mustang or SC starter will not work. You'll need the starter from an F150 5spd (or possibly the 94/95 Mustang).

The flywheel sold by TMD is a Fidanza flywheel (at least the one I got was). It comes with no weights attached and you can add whatever you need (if any). Weights are included.

XR7 Dave said:
The flywheel sold by TMD is a Fidanza flywheel (at least the one I got was). It comes with no weights attached and you can add whatever you need (if any). Weights are included.

mine came with the weights also how do you like it my motor isn't together yet

My statement about the starter was from a guy who did the swap with a mustang flywheel. I do not know which starter he used though. He said it was a mustang as well but I could be mistaken, it was about a year ago. Also, you could measure your ring gear and have it heated off and pressed on to the flywheel. I would not try to heat the one on the aluminum one though.

Chris

XR7 Dave said:
Also, some 4.6's have an 8 bolt flywheel, the SC is a 6 bolt. A 4.6 nut could tell you which is which. So it's not that it won't work, its just that it can be complicated and so generally it's not worth the trouble.

The 4.6's that came out of the Windsor plant have the 8 bolt cranks where as the 4.6's from the Romeo plant have 6 bolt cranks.

Shane

Back