What is that electric motor/buzzing sound when you push the brakes?

Terrible Juan

Is that something to do with the ABS? And should it buzz everytime you push the brake pedal? My ABS and brake lights flash when I hit the brakes and I know it's the accumulator but is it making that little motor thing work overtime or something?

immedietely stop using the car ur brakes are about to fail... contact www.priorreman.com for a new ABS ACCUMULATOR ball... you will end up burning ur ABS MOTOR and that will cost even more... please listen to me and stop using ur car.... u might end up getting hurt... ur big black ball on ur ABS system is failing...

darkstar_one said:
immedietely stop using the car ur brakes are about to fail... contact www.priorreman.com for a new ABS ACCUMULATOR ball... you will end up burning ur ABS MOTOR and that will cost even more... please listen to me and stop using ur car.... u might end up getting hurt... ur big black ball on ur ABS system is failing...

What he said is true, but I had drove around my old 91 SC for almost a year without a problem. I was just lazy and didn't want to spend the money. I would fix it asap though.

Shane

Whoa, didn't realize it was that serious. Luckily I have another car to drive. Is there anything I can disconnect or whatever to keep it from engaging like that? I don't really care if the car has ABS.

Having the motor run everytime you push the breaks isn't a good idea, but even after I got a new accumulator ball from prior, I still only get 4-5 pumps without having the pump run.

Terrible Juan said:
Whoa, didn't realize it was that serious. Luckily I have another car to drive. Is there anything I can disconnect or whatever to keep it from engaging like that? I don't really care if the car has ABS.

If you mess with it the brake peddle will go hard and you wont have brakes :eek: :eek:. Best just to spend the $100 at prior and be done with it.

Shane

Juan,

The accumulator ball is not an Anti-lock feature. That ball IS your brakes. When you hear that motor buzz, it is the pump motor taking fluid from your brake reservior and pumping it into the accumulator ball which pressurizes the fluid by way of nitrogen gas and a rubber diaphram to the tune of 2500 psi. The pump motor stops with the accumulator reaches the desired pressure. Then when you step on your brakes the pressurized fluid reaches your calipers quite efficiently. Usually the ball can take a handful of pumps before the pumps turns on.

In your case (and mine a few years ago)- When the accumulator starts to go because diaphram leaks and can't maintain the proper pressure, it makes your pump constantly run to keep up with your braking. And as a chain reaction after your accumulator goes, your pump motor gets overworked and then goes shortly after. That's when the really problem starts...no fluid pumping-no braking :eek:

So, that's basically the reason behind your problem...fun stuff, ain't it. :rolleyes:

Metalman

Thunderbird84 said:
Having the motor run everytime you push the breaks isn't a good idea, but even after I got a new accumulator ball from prior, I still only get 4-5 pumps without having the pump run.
Thats within the OK range still. Test it on a wet road every now and then. At least once a year. :cool:

Back