AOD Upgrades?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Thinking about a shift kit.. What is a cheap way to make firmer shifts with an AOD without making it to stiff for a daily driver? Also whats the stupid deal with not being able to select 2nd gear on an AOD?

Jacob_Royer said:
Thinking about a shift kit.. What is a cheap way to make firmer shifts with an AOD without making it to stiff for a daily driver? Also whats the stupid deal with not being able to select 2nd gear on an AOD?
A Lentech Valve Body will fix your problems. The Shifter pattern becomes P-R-N-D(OD, when electonic switch is disabled)-2-1. If you aren't familiar, the Lentech VB uses an electric solenoid to 'lock out' OD and then revises the shift pattern to shat is listed above. Art Carr also make something similar, but hydraulically locks out OD under full-throttle only. I've had both and much prefer the Lentech.

Edit: I just read "cheap" in your post. I think either VB is in the $400 range, which you may not consider cheap, but you won't be disappointed as long as you tranny isn't already on its last leg.

Last edited:
Jacob_Royer said:

B&M and Trans Go make shift kits for our cars. I think the Trans Go is just over $100 too. I have never used either of them so I cant tell you which is better. I am a sucker for 5spd SC's :D

Shane

quick35th said:
B&M and Trans Go make shift kits for our cars. I think the Trans Go is just over $100 too. I have never used either of them so I cant tell you which is better. I am a sucker for 5spd SC's :D

Shane
Granted the B&M and TransGo shift kits are cheaper than a complete VB, but you still have to deal with the original shift pattern. Also, some will recommend the TransGo because it allows full-throttle upshifts into OD, but since the OD band is the known weak-link of the AOD, I definitely wouldn't want that.

I had the Trans-Go set to medium firmness, and I even thought it was a good shift kit...until I got the Lentech VB. The Lentech with level II calibration shifts softer when allowed to shift automatically and harder when shifted manually. Being able to lock out OD is very helpful on the dyno and the track, because with the Trans-Go it will very often shift into OD even though the shift lever is in "D". Bieng able to hold 2nd gear up or downshifting is even cooler.

When you consider the time/cost to install the trans-go kit as opposed to just bolting on the Lentech VB, the cost of going with the Lentech is nearly the same. You don't have to wire up the OD delete solenoid, but it's not difficult and only requires one small hole to be drilled for the 12 volt power supply wire.

David

Jacob_Royer said:

I have a stock (rebuilt) aod in my SC and i can hold every gear til redline. To control the 2-3 shift you gotta pull the shifter back down into 1st after it shifts into 2nd, then shift to 2nd for it to go into 3rd.

I usually just let mine shift on its own since under WOT it shifts at about 4600.

I just put a Performance Automatics 53301 in my 35th. I got it from Jeg's for $190. It might a lesser cost alternative. It's only been in for a couple of weeks on a newly rebuilt AOD so I'm still breaking it in. It shifts much quicker and firmer than before.

Are any other upgrades to the AOD other than shifkits/valve bodies? Im not too familiar with anything else except i've read of 'hardened shaft' or somethign like that and just recently an aluminum flexplate? Does anybody feel like educating a fellow sc'er?

This maybe the silliest thing I've heard, but since you asked about the cheapest way. .. There is a trans guy that said when someone wants a shift kit, he cuts the spring (what spring I don't know, someone that shows trans may know) that has something to do with the shift & by doing that it makes the shifts faster. ..

I don't recommend because I have no idea how it works or what the hell he's talking about. .. But it wouldn't cost anything (at first). .. :eek: .... Just passing off funny info on what this dude does when he does the tran's there.

ps-Get a lentech

Anthony

"Experienced" Transmission

Kurt K said:
A Lentech Valve Body will fix your problems. The Shifter pattern becomes P-R-N-D(OD, when electonic switch is disabled)-2-1. If you aren't familiar, the Lentech VB uses an electric solenoid to 'lock out' OD and then revises the shift pattern to shat is listed above. Art Carr also make something similar, but hydraulically locks out OD under full-throttle only. I've had both and much prefer the Lentech.

Edit: I just read "cheap" in your post. I think either VB is in the $400 range, which you may not consider cheap, but you won't be disappointed as long as you tranny isn't already on its last leg.

Can I use the Lentech VB on an "experienced" transmission with good resluts? I'd like to upgrade, but don't want to cause the trans to grenade. The AOD works fine now, just has that crappy shift feel. And, I don't like back-shifting it manually, because that seems like abuse.

I realize it'd be better to install the Lentech into a fresh, crisp, newly-rebuilt AOD, but if I can get away with it on my used one, that'd be good for right now.

Thanks,

JD

txsc said:
Can I use the Lentech VB on an "experienced" transmission with good resluts? I'd like to upgrade, but don't want to cause the trans to grenade. The AOD works fine now, just has that crappy shift feel. And, I don't like back-shifting it manually, because that seems like abuse.

I realize it'd be better to install the Lentech into a fresh, crisp, newly-rebuilt AOD, but if I can get away with it on my used one, that'd be good for right now.

Thanks,

JD
Obviously, there are no guarantees to the condition of your existing transmission, but installing a VB is essentially the same thing as installing a shift kit. There normally isn't a problem installing a shift kit or a new VB in an "experienced" transmission.

CaifanSC said:
Are any other upgrades to the AOD other than shifkits/valve bodies? Im not too familiar with anything else except i've read of 'hardened shaft' or somethign like that and just recently an aluminum flexplate? Does anybody feel like educating a fellow sc'er?

When you rebuild it, you can use parts from the 4R70W transmission to upgrade it a bit. Gear Ratio's, wider over drive clutch.

Lentech has upgraded inputshafts, torque converters, a bunch of parts.
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html

Back