Check your crank pulley!

Hock

Well, some people have to learn the hard way, and I am one of those people. I would hate to see anybody else have to same issues with there SC that I have had so I will tell you this: check your crank pulley!

What do you need to check for? The counter balance weight that is on it, thats only if you are still running the stock harmonic balancer. If you have a BHJ you should have already had the pulley zero balanced.

Why am I bringing this up? When I torn down my engine I found that most of my rod bearings were messed up. There was really no sign with the car running besides a small vibration at 1500 rpm. During the tear down I noticed that the balancer would have seperated at any time, though I did not learn about the balancer being messed up till a few weeks ago. If I would have went much longer on that balancer and pulley I would have lost my crank for sure.

So, along with all the other checks you perform on your SC (you do preventive maint. don't you?) esure that you check the crank pulley for that counter weight. The best time would be at least every time you change your oil or better yet, when you check you fluids and tire pressure weekly. You should find it on the inside of the crank pulley.

Hopefully this bit of info will help some of you to keep your SC(s) on the road and out of the shop for a longer period of time.

Good advice if yours has the weight, make sure its still there. But not all pulleys have a counterweight on them. I have one the does and one that doesnt here at the house.

That is very true my friend...on my 94 i had a crank pulley with that counter weight...it looks like a freaking penny just 'sort of' welded in there. However one day I was cleaning my engine bay, and when scrubbing the crank pulley that weight came off. I ran the car like that for a while but now I have an ASP UD pulley set. So i dont have to worry about that any more......do I? :confused:

Back