motor trouble

90scman

hey guys i just changed the head gasket out on my 90 sc and i got it all back together and it fired up but wouldent idle. i had some vacuum leaks. i fixed those now it wont start at all. then i had some problems with some wiring so i fixed that and it was runing. now it wont run at all and im hearing a clicking sound about every min when the key is tured on, all the way forward. it seams to be coming from the back of the motor but im not sure whats going on so any help would be great.

check your ignition switch to make sure it has not come apart. it is a common problem. when you changed the HGs did you get a valve job done or have the heads checked? i had a very rough idle problem and the motor would cut out on my SC. i finally did a compression check with very surprising results. when i took the heads off i found 4 burnt valves. I would do a compression check to put that to bed.

Ed Springer

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Accel 36# injectors, Scorpian 1.73 Rockers, ARP Head Studs, 190 l/h fuel pump, 180° Stat, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76 C&L MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, MSD Ignition, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, ProTorque 2500 TC, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, Optima Yellow Top Battery, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

If it ran ok before the teardown and doesn't run now, you messed something up on reassembly. The biggest problem most people that are inexperienced with the sc have is not sealing the intercooler tubes correctly. If the tubes aren't sealed perfectly the car will run like crap or not run at all if the leak is big enough. Some have used copper rtv successfully, but the best is Wynn at Texas Thunderbirds intercooler gaskets (TBird88). They are worth every penny and are reusable many times. Also, make sure all of the ground wires are reconnected. John

Back