Harmonic balancer???

KobleTsi

hey i just ordered a balancer and it should be here today... but i just found out there are two different ones, how do i find out what one i need? is there anyway if its the wrong one i can make it work?

Thanks

Koble

I'm not sure what you mean about two different ones. There is only one correct balancer for the 3.8sc. I'm guessing that your supplier is including the one for the n/a 3.8 as one of the two. A 3.8 n/a balancer will not work on the sc and you can tell immediately if you have the right one. The 3.8 n/a is externally balanced and will have a big hunk of metal on one side. The sc balancer will be the same around the whole circumference of the balancer, essentially zero balanced. John

THe only 'other' balancer i can think of is the 94-95 SC balancer which is different than the 89-93 ones.

car-part.com says theres 2 different ones for the supercharged one... and the guy at rev hard said that theres two different ones too so i checked car-part but they should both work?

Thanks

Koble

[w/supercharger, crankshaft ID E9SE-BC and DA
w/supercharger, crankshaft ID E9SE-CB and EA
w/o supercharger

these are the options, anyone know about them? trent said it depends on the crank you have, autozone cant even get the part, and im a dsm guy =-O so i dont know anything about these cars but im trying to learn, since the car was free and its got a brand new engine.

Thanks

Koble

CalfanSC is right, I forgot the diff between the 89-93 balancer and 94-95 balancer. You need to get the one for your year because the different sensor ring. However, all this aside, I don't think any aftermarket parts stores sell the SC balancer, only the n/a, so your only source for a stock balancer is from Ford. IMO, a better deal is to pay a little more and buy the steel balancer from BHJ. Basically, the stock one is junk if you need to remove and replace it, the BHJ can be removed many times. John

Buying a used HB is generally believed to be a bad idea. I wouldn't go that route unless I had to. I think I read someone saying that if you do buy a used one, you should have a machine shop check the balance of the new (used) balancer and crank as a unit, so you know it's right.

KobleTsi said:
[w/supercharger, crankshaft ID E9SE-BC and DA
w/supercharger, crankshaft ID E9SE-CB and EA
w/o supercharger

The early 89 production SC engines with the Duracast crankshaft used a different balancer that the later 89 - 93 models. That would be the oddball one they can't get for you. What year is the engine you're working with?

cheers
Ed N.

Back