Installing new BHJ balancer

J

Joisey Jim

I understand the BHJ has to be honed to fit the end of the crank and instructions are included. However is this something that can be done with hand tools by 'trial & error' until it fits or do you actually need to measure your crank with a micrometer and then have a machine shop hone the balancer.

I measured mine, but I also used a abrasive flap wheel on my die grinder to hond out the snout.

Joisey Jim said:
I understand the BHJ has to be honed to fit the end of the crank and instructions are included. However is this something that can be done with hand tools by 'trial & error' until it fits or do you actually need to measure your crank with a micrometer and then have a machine shop hone the balancer.

You'll want a micrometer just to get the level of accuracy. You'll also want to check the crank snout in more than one location to average the numbers. Runout on that stub can be significant.

A flap wheel should work. Just do it a little at a time so you don't go too far.

Just Installed Mine

Car Was Outside In Cold 50 Degrees Balancer In House 75 Degrees Used Antiseize On Snout Pulled On With Longer Bolt No Problem Could Be Temps Were The Factor Some Say Heat Balancer In Oven 125 Degrees Or More Check Search Site :d

Back