TPS problems/questions

Bacondoggy

I have 3 TPS and I believe the one on my SC may be bad, but how do you tell? My dad is an electrical engineer and measured the resistance of the 2 I have off of the car and at one time the one on the car and they are all different! I know one might be from my old 89 sc but not sure wich one... Anyone know what rating it should be around? If I have a bad one on my car how would it make the car act? would it make it idle bad and/or throw off the fuel/air mixture? I know my IAC is new and my maf is working... o2 sensors are saying it is running lean. fuel pressure is good at the fuel rails....

I know this is off subject, but a front bumper cover (white or unpainted) for a 91 would make me happy too! lol I saw one on ebay that went for $1 plus 75 for shipping it was new (unpainted) I should have gotten it! lol but if no one knows of anyone who has one, would they know of a company that would sell them for something like that? I have been checking ebay regurlary I havent seen any in over a month...

Voltage should be set at:

Idle 0.97
20 1.44
30 1.90
40 2.37
50 2.84
60 3.31
70 3.78
80 4.24 (WOT)

I know they are the voltages... I was trying to figure out the resistance with them unpluged (measure the change in resistance with them off the car with an ohm meter from it normal, and turn it with a screwdriver to the max and see the results). Because they are ALL different and resistance can make the computer think things arent correct despite what voltage it is set at.

resistance

By giving this link I mean NO disrespect by insinuating anyone is stupid. I am merley saying even if you have the idlevoltage set at .95v - .97v if the resistance is different in the tps the computer will reciever different values from a tps that has a different resistance. ALL 3 of my tps have different resistances. I dont want to buy a 4th one. I just dont know wich one is correct... UGH lol I hate this car....

Well I have a spare in the garage that measures from 3800 ohms to 310 ohms for the entire operating range. What do yours measure? These are probably 4K potentiometers and what you are seeing is the tolerance between like units. They don't call electronics a 20% science for nothing. :) As long as they are around 4000 ohms I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you can get under 1v at idle you are good to go. Wide Open Throttle is going to be close to 5V or next to no resistance in the TPS at that position anyway.

About the only thing to go wrong with TPS is that like any potentiometer it can develop bad spots on the carbon contacts that can cause dropouts. Run the TPS through it's range and make sure to get a smooth continuos ohm reading throughtout the range. I like to use an analog meter for this because most DVOMs autorange.

Jerry

Back