Oil Pressure Begins To Drop...

darkstar_one

Hi,

Well last night when i was coming from work... I kinda smashed on the gas pedal and the freaking damn check gauge light came on and i was going low on oil pressure... anywho i popped the car in neutral everything was fine... well it didnt drop anymore after that because i laid off the gas... well it happend again on the way to the bank... i smashed on it again and the pressure dropped... can this be a sign of a oil pump going bad? if so can i replace it with the meiling aftermarket M-246 high volumer 8 tooth oil pump. Thanks. I already replaced the oil pressure switch and it didnt do it for a while and just yesterday it started doing it again. but before i replaced the switch it would "lose" almost immedietely with the climbing RPMS... now its only wwhen you smash on passing 3500/4000 RPMS

yeah you may want to check the connection. I found the connector on mine only part way on.. which would send different signals to the guage i believe (one day it would have one reading, and read something else a few hours later on a different restart). Now i just need to get my mechanical guage hooked up so i know what it really is :(

The exact same thing started on mine yesterday as well, I think it might be the connector on the sender as well. I will post when I find out.

Ok this may sound like a bunch of BS but bear with me, because I've "fixed" more than one "low oil pressure" problem on different cars this way:

Assuming it's not simply a bad connection (I can't see how a bad connection would only cause the problem when you stomp on the gas) then I'll bet you are running a FRAM oil filter. If you have a FRAM oil filter on your car GET THAT P.O.S. off there ASAP and install a quality oil filter, such as Napa Gold (#1516) or Wix (#51516). The Fram's are Crap, and they will colapse inside and then they have to allow oil to bypass... thus low oil pressure. I have seen this many times, and if i'm wrong it will only cost you about $6 to find out.

i mean u do seem to have a point there with the oil filter... but its a motorcraft fs-400.... hmmmm anywho ima replace the sensor again and check the connection... i will let u know...

I've never seen this with any other filter besides a FRAM. I was SO SURE you had a fram filter on there....... but you still might try it. Motorcraft filters are not made by Ford, by the way, they are purolator i'm 99% sure....which is way better than a fram but nothing like a Wix or NapaGold inside....i've seen cutaways of all of them. If it were me, I'd put a Wix filter on it just to eliminate this possibility; It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

hey another thing..... did you use thread sealant tape or any kind of sealant in a tube on that sensor? If you did that may be your problem....it could be interfering with the grounding of the sensor. It should seal without any because it's tapered thread, or use just a little teflon tape but not all the way up the threads..... you have to have good metal to metal contact where it screws in for a good ground.

If the sensor and a new oil filter don't fix it, then next step is to screw in a mechanical "test gauge" and see if you do in fact have low oil pressure. actually if you have access to one, that's probably the FIRST step but you probably don't have one laying around...

mine does the same thing, but I have an autometer oil pressure gauge in there as well, and it is reading normal. It is probably just the sending unit, but you won't know if you don't have a real oil pressure gauge.

kevenj90sc said:
Ok this may sound like a bunch of BS but bear with me, because I've "fixed" more than one "low oil pressure" problem on different cars this way:

Assuming it's not simply a bad connection (I can't see how a bad connection would only cause the problem when you stomp on the gas) then I'll bet you are running a FRAM oil filter. If you have a FRAM oil filter on your car GET THAT P.O.S. off there ASAP and install a quality oil filter, such as Napa Gold (#1516) or Wix (#51516). The Fram's are Crap, and they will colapse inside and then they have to allow oil to bypass... thus low oil pressure. I have seen this many times, and if i'm wrong it will only cost you about $6 to find out.

I just bought this SC about 3 months ago and when I was checking it over before I bought it I saw the FRAM filter (which I have not used on any of my cars for years because they do suck). I have ony put about 700 miles on her since purchase and didnt plan to change the oil until winter storage time but I will pick up a filter tonight. On my 93 SC I have only used Mobil 1 filters and plan to do the same for this 92. Thank you very much for reminding me that FRAM!

(I can't see how a bad connection would only cause the problem when you stomp on the gas)

Keven,

It didn't make sense to me either, and it scared the crap out of me because I was on the dyno, tuning my car when it happened. Every pull the oil pressure gauge would drop to nothing and that red "Check Gauge" light would come on.

I had the car apart a week earlier installing a new cam and I suppose the connection got loosened up during the repairs. All we did was slightly crimp the connection with some pliers and the problem was solved.

David

if the pressure is low mostly the valves will start ticking first i would ignore it unless you hear ticking

Back