Power steering replacement

JiggaJake

So on my 1992 red 5-speed SC, fresh out of the tranny shop, it decieds its a good time to have the power steering stop working. It seems like i just fixed it and now this. Anyway does anyone know any aftermarket parts or how easy it is to replace. It is like 500 at the dealership and I think it can't be that much to do. Please post if you have replaced one or know how...or any prices on parts. THANKS!

What do you need to replace? Lines, pump, rack?? All parts should be available at your favorite parts store. Look on autozone.com or advanceautoparts.com to get an idea on pricing.

Kevin Varnes said:
What do you need to replace? Lines, pump, rack?? All parts should be available at your favorite parts store. Look on autozone.com or advanceautoparts.com to get an idea on pricing.

Pump, I think... Just won't turn much at all. Made some noise before it went out. Added some fluid and still didnt' work so i think its the pump. Ideas on how hard it is. How long it would take.

pump replacement

pump replacement is not hard, but it does take a while.
You need a power steering pulley puller for ford. it comes with a split jaw and sleeve (throw the sleeve away it dosen't work well---use a heavy duty hose clamp)
Remove the belts and wiring on left side (may have to remove Alt.)
Remove the two nuts on water pump bracket
Remove IC nut for accessory bracket.
Then remove P/S pulley to remove pump bolts behind pulley
Then remove accessory bracket bolts and bracket
This should allow you to pull the pump out to disconnect elec plug and hoses.
Having to change water pump several times before I found the puller, I had to take out the left acc bracket.
Thank god when the rack blew a plug that I still had a warranty in effect! It cost $50 out of the total $860.
I and the wife have been told (by Dealer service personnel) that there are different labor rates between the n/a 3.8 and the SC due to the crap you have to remove to get to the engine on the SC.

JiggaJake said:
So on my 1992 red 5-speed SC, fresh out of the tranny shop, it decieds its a good time to have the power steering stop working. It seems like i just fixed it and now this. Anyway does anyone know any aftermarket parts or how easy it is to replace. It is like 500 at the dealership and I think it can't be that much to do. Please post if you have replaced one or know how...or any prices on parts. THANKS!

i usually just change the whole bracket out without taking the powersteering pump and pulley off.

i have a used spare one that is still on the bracket i'd sell for $60 for both the bracket and power steering pump.

jmpsu2@yahoo.com

jeff

Back