Pulling engine... hung up on transmission

BlckOnBlckBrd

I'm in the process of pulling my engine, but it seems to be hung up on the transmission. I have all of the bellhousing bolts out, the TC to flexplate bolts, and the stud on the front of the engine where the cooler lines bolt up to. The engine and tranny are broke apart, but it seems to still be connected. When I lift the engine the tranny lifts with it.

Is there anything that I'm forgetting? Or maybe there is a trick to getting it out.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

BlckOnBlckBrd said:
I'm in the process of pulling my engine, but it seems to be hung up on the transmission. I have all of the bellhousing bolts out, the TC to flexplate bolts, and the stud on the front of the engine where the cooler lines bolt up to. The engine and tranny are broke apart, but it seems to still be connected. When I lift the engine the tranny lifts with it.

Is there anything that I'm forgetting? Or maybe there is a trick to getting it out.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

there are two locator pins (Dowl rods) in the engine block that fit into holes drilled into the bellhousing you need to lift and support both the engine and transmition high enough to clear the motormounts then pull the engine forward an inch or so sometimes you really have to yank to get them apart

Is this an AOD?

If so, what about the TV cable and/or the filler tube? If the TC is free from the flexplate and the bellhousing bolts are out, then there shouldn't be anything holding them together. Unless maybe the TC crank pilot is hanging up in the crankshaft?

Yes this is an AOD. The TV cable shouldn't be connected, because I have all of the throttle cables still in the engine bay. The filler tube was connected through a bellhousing bolt.

I'll just get under there and try to pry some more.

BlckOnBlckBrd said:
Yes this is an AOD. The TV cable shouldn't be connected, because I have all of the throttle cables still in the engine bay. The filler tube was connected through a bellhousing bolt.

I'll just get under there and try to pry some more.

can you see a gap between the engine and bell housing? if so how wide ?

check your tranny lines i think they are cliped to the oil pan have you removed that tiedown?

Last edited:
Check the starter...

Did you remove the starter????

The starter will hold it together.

Otherwise, the dowel pins are the item I would look at.

Don

Sure enough, it was the drivers side dowel pin hanging it. Thanks all. Now all I have to do is tear it down, pick up the new shortblock and put it back together.

Wish me luck.

Back