Harmonic balancer

KobleTsi

Hey, just got my new one. what tools do i need? how many bolts are there? how do i get the shaft out from inside?

Thanks

Koble

Did you get a BHJ? If so you need to go to a Ford dealership and buy a 3.8L mustang bolt any year. The bolt is M14x1.50x55.

Regardless, you'll need a balancer puller and it wouldn't hurt to buy a new crank sensor either (maybe your wallet though, $35). There's 4 bolts (13mm hex) that hold the crank pulley on and one big'n that holds the balancer on (7/8 hex.) You also need a torque wrench too.

CMac89 said:
Did you get a BHJ? If so you need to go to a Ford dealership and buy a 3.8L mustang bolt any year. The bolt is M14x1.50x55.

Regardless, you'll need a balancer puller and it wouldn't hurt to buy a new crank sensor either (maybe your wallet though, $35). There's 4 bolts (13mm hex) that hold the crank pulley on and one big'n that holds the balancer on (7/8 hex.) You also need a torque wrench too.
is the 7/8 hex in the middle of the balancer? i rented a puller but the old balancer broke off so theres nothing to clamp onto any ideas? any pictures, or information helps.

Thanks

Koble

hb crank bolt

Did they make 2 different size hb bolts because I purchased a new 14mm bolt from ford last year and it is too big. Mine looks to be about 1/2 in fine thread. Slamjammer:eek

KobleTsi said:
is the 7/8 hex in the middle of the balancer? i rented a puller but the old balancer broke off so theres nothing to clamp onto any ideas? any pictures, or information helps.

Thanks

Koble
Get a big 3-jaw pulley puller and use that. The bolt is in the middle of the balancer.

There is only one size crank bolt....

CMac89 said:
Get a big 3-jaw pulley puller and use that. The bolt is in the middle of the balancer.

There is only one size crank bolt....
thanks... but i dont think you understand, i got the 3-jaw pully puller, the damper isnt there... so theres just like a litle tube sticking out.

You are probably looking at an aluminum ring on the crank snout. Use a couple of self tapping screws in the aluminum being careful not to scratch the crank. Screw them in and use the heads to pull them out.
Use a left hand drll bit to remove the broken bolt in your crank. If you are using a BHJ make sure you measure carefully. I believe BHJ calls for a .001 to .0015 interference fit. Do NOt use the Mustang bolt the last 1/4 inch is not threaded. Some of the sellers here have the correct bolt.

minbe said:
You are probably looking at an aluminum ring on the crank snout. Use a couple of self tapping screws in the aluminum being careful not to scratch the crank. Screw them in and use the heads to pull them out.
Use a left hand drll bit to remove the broken bolt in your crank. If you are using a BHJ make sure you measure carefully. I believe BHJ calls for a .001 to .0015 interference fit. Do NOt use the Mustang bolt the last 1/4 inch is not threaded. Some of the sellers here have the correct bolt.
its an oem one, im going to try to get it out today. where is this 7/8 bolt i looked around yesterday and couldnt find it.

Thanks

Koble

That bolt might have snapped off if you couldn't find it. That happens alot though when the balancers break.

It threads into the crank snout in the exact middle of the balancer.

CMac89 said:
That bolt might have snapped off if you couldn't find it. That happens alot though when the balancers break.

It threads into the crank snout in the exact middle of the balancer.
Thanks alot.

Koble

anyone know a part number for the bolt? also what size drill bit do i use to get that busted bolt out? wheres the crank sensor i dont see it.

anyone know a part number for the bolt? also what size drill bit do i use to get that busted bolt out? wheres the crank sensor i dont see it.

The drill bit size the shop used to drill my dad's bolt out was no bigger than 1/4 inch... perhapse 3/16. It also should be a drillbit for drilling hard steel. Left handed also could help un threading it if it is loose. After that you could try an extractor but be very carefull because if it breaks off you are in trouble.

The crank sensor is fairly small piece whch is located behind the balancer from my understanding you need to remove the pulley / balancer assy to change it.

For my dad it was the 2nd pulley bolt broken 2 extractions. He had a pulley wobble since rebuild and no one said it was a concern. Had very strange symptoms of the car dieing spuratically, bucking and coming back to life. Chasing the problem for a long time and finally the car acted up but then wouldn't re-start any more and had the shop find out no spark and timing was off. Conclusion was balancer seaperated causing bolt to break and timing was off / no spark because all that was left attached to the crank was the coller sleeve with the key. Bought a new balancer & pulley assembaly from ford and got a new crank sensor just in case as it is huge $ in labour to replace after the balancer is put back on if it got dammaged.

Since then it seems to be running and driving good. with the exception of a very low end hickup aprox 1000rpm or less under load. This hickup is nothing new, but it would happen at almost any RPM under slight acceleration or full throttle.

The car is stock boost and has kooks headers and full exhaust system with magnaflow resonator and mufflers.

Perhapse if it persists we will have to look at plug gaps again. He has had wires and plugs done multiple times now.

be careful or you could damage the crankshaft, making the engine junk. If you're not sure what you're doing, have a mechanic do it.

The bit you use should be about half the diamter of the bolt. Best if you use a reverse twist drill bit as they can help the bolt to come out. Then you need to use something like an ez-out or bolt extractor to finish getting the bolt out.

Bolt size is:
Factory:
M14 x 40mm 1.5 pitch With the washer installed it's 35mm long.
Upgrade for BHJ users:
Class 10.9 Black-Oxide Stl Hex Head Cap Screw M14 Size, 55mm Length, 1.5mm Fine Pitch

Threads with possible info and pictures:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57664&highlight=remove+balancer
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56355&highlight=remove+balancer
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22916&highlight=remove+balancer

be careful or you could damage the crankshaft, making the engine junk.

Precisely why we had a shop do it and both times with good results. 2nd time cost 4 hours labour, $80 towing and misc oil and filter stuff + the balancer parts sensor, bolt, key and front main seal.

Back