Supercharger trouble?

commonmanthemes

I just had my original and rebuilt/sported transmission put in my 5-speed 35th today. Simply awesome. A Spec clutch and a Ripper can do a lot for the M5R2, especially with reinforcement from poly-cross bushings and a solid rubber mount. Anyway, I drove the car for about 160 miles (2 1/2 hours) and at the end of the trip I was getting a winding noise from under the hood. It was pretty loud, so I had it checked out really quick at a local shop. They did some listening and found it was coming off of the supercharger in general. I had kind of figured it was a bad supercharger bearing or idler pulley. Then, on my way home I stopped at a gas station and filled up. When I started the car to leave, it would not even crank. I had a guy at the shop there check it out really quickly and sure enough, it started right up. He figures it might be a bad safety switch on my clutch. So, I take the car home and park it for a couple hours, planning to wait to get to a Ford dealer in the morning. But, a couple hours later, I am forced to drive the car across town. To my surprise, when I start the car, the noise is gone and has not come back since. Any ideas on what is up with my car? I am pretty sure the noise and supposed clutch issue as separated, unless there is an electrical issue of sorts. Just trying to get the facts out there.

Easiest way to determine where the whining noise is coming from is to remove the belts and turn the pulleys and supercharger by had to see if anything is binding.

I once had a constantly whining supercharger problem and it turned out that the small vacuum hose had fallen off the bypass valve acuator, which kept it closed all the time. Check that and the bypass valve linkage (behind supercharger top) to make sure it isn't stuck in the closed position.

David

Thanks Dave.

The winding has not come back, but I have had a few issues since. The clutch switch problem has occurred twice since then. A couple times when trying to start the car under said conditions, the was a quick, but noticeable clunk as the engine failed to start. Each time, I have (eventually) been able to get the car to start. However, my clutch pedal now has this loose area in the top of its range of motion where it makes a clicking sound before becoming effective.

What the hell?

Back