waterlogged

cokedogg

ok i have the k&n setup took the airbox out and installed it. i was run into a waterhole and the car stalled after drying out i started it up and bad knock sound altho it idles fine, my dad thinks a hole in the piston a local mechanic says bent rod but idles too good to be that i think.. i did notice smoke that it didnt use to do.. i dont know if my car has followers to the cam but it sounds like a follower on a turbo coupe has messed up any ideas or past experience will be appreciated.. thanks... sam

Bad news.
Water is incompressable so if a large volume of water entered your engine some of it could have become trapped in the combustion chamber to the point that the piston could not compress it. Something has to give. Connecting rods, pistons and crankshafts will bend. Once this happens there is no recourse but to professionally rebuild or replace the engine. The knocking noises you hear are a likely sign of serious problems.

Steve Best

yeah i know all of that i was just wondering if this happened to someone else and they could tell me the easiest way to fix it or an idea of what it is. confusingly enough it idles fine.. dont think its put a hole in the piston or bent a rod.. could be tho just idles to good.. ive got all the parts ready ive got a xr7 for parts.. blown gaskets and a un welcoming interior but good for parts..

The bent rod does not bend straight. It usually has some twist or crook to it. At idle it will scuff up and down with little difficulty but at higher rpm the bind on the pin causes the piston skirt to slap.

The only answer is a rebuild or a replacement. That is the easiest, cheapest, quickest fix if you have water ingestion damage. If you were to replace only one piston instead of checking all of them you would invariably have other bent rods too.

Steve

Back