Rebuilding SC Engine

BlckSC5Sp

Im going to start a rebuild on my Supercoupe engine.

I remember reading somewhere on this site what the recommendations were for:
Main and Rod Bearings
Cam bearings
Gasket Set
Oil Pump
and everything that you should replace while doing a rebuild.

However for the life of me I cant find that post anywhere. This will be a stock bottom end/heads with a 5% SC pulley, raised top, headers, larger MAF and Throttle body.

Any info is appreciated.

Ian

be sure to take the heads to your local machine shop to make sure they arent warped.. and take the block with you to have re honed if you cant do that yourself.

That stuff isnt an issue. All the machine work will be taken care of as well as tanking the block, and rebuilding the heads. Im just unfimiliar with what brand of bearings and gaskets are best used with this engine

BlckSC5Sp said:
Im going to start a rebuild on my Supercoupe engine.

I remember reading somewhere on this site what the recommendations were for:
Main and Rod Bearings
Cam bearings
Gasket Set
Oil Pump
and everything that you should replace while doing a rebuild.

However for the life of me I cant find that post anywhere. ...
Ian

There are a couple threads around, one in the member area that has a good rundown.

Northern Auto Parts has a complete engine kit that would work.

Piecing it together ideal have been:

Sealed Power stock replacement pistons.
Go with the full floating rods of the 94/95 motor if you can find them, otherwise make sure your stockers are looked over closely.
King rod bearings are recommended by many.
King mains are nice, but Sealed Power( federal mogul) bearings are pretty good.
Many are working with total seal rings, but others should work as well.
Felpro has an entire gasket kit for the motor. Their head gaskets work quite well.
ARP head studs are a good idea, though many have rebuilt with stock replacement TTY bolts.
The higher capacity oil pump from the 94/95 cars is recommended. It's available through melling.

Use the full floating 94/95 rods on a 1990 crank?

Is the crank something worth replacing if the journals need to be turned down? Or will turning and using oversized bearings be ok?

1989 (forged) through 1995 SC cranks are exactly the same. The difference in the rods is the 94/95 have the small end bushed to support the floating pin. The earlier models use a small end that takes a pressed in pin.

Opinions differ on getting the crank turned and in general it's always better to just polish it and avoid having to turn it if possible. Once you find out what the machine shop says for the crank, ask again with the details.

One of the more specific issues mentioned in the past with getting the crank ground is the radius edges becoming squared off and no longer radiused. The machine shop will want to maintain that radius to ensure proper oiling and fit of the bearings.

I have had good luck with Clevite bearings in SC's and outher motors. Watch when you are installing the crank and main bearings one bearing is smaller then the outhers.

Last edited:
Back