PowerSteering leak

DazedNConfuzed

I seem to have a leak coming from the adapter that attaches to the pump and the high pressure line of the power steering. The fitting that attaches between the solenoid, basically like a big banjo fitting moves fairly easily even with it tightened all the way down on the pump. This can't be right... Can it?

DazedNConfuzed said:
I seem to have a leak coming from the adapter that attaches to the pump and the high pressure line of the power steering. The fitting that attaches between the solenoid, basically like a big banjo fitting moves fairly easily even with it tightened all the way down on the pump. This can't be right... Can it?

I've got a used pump off of a parts car, and that fitting swivels on it as well - no sign that it ever leaked. I have not taken it apart but there has to be some copper washers or some sort of o-ring seal there, perhaps those are bad.

O-ring

The fitting (EVO sensor) should swivel easily, even when tightened down.

I had a re-man car-quest pump that leaked there, and a year later got a ford re-man that leaked from the same place.

In my case, the O-ring toward the outside of the sensor was too small and the next size ring at the parts store was too big. I took the o-ring out and wrapped the channel it rides in with several layers of teflon tape, then put the original o-ring back in and it's been good for over a year now.

good luck
Bob

EVO leak

The part you're referring to is the EVO. It gives you the variable assisted power steering.....full power when turning at low speeds, and lesser at highway speeds.

The problem you have is due to o-rings. I'm definitely familiar with this 'cause I just had to replace these about a month ago, due to a PS fluid leak. There are a total of 4 o-rings on the EVO. You need to remove the powersteering pump, disconnect the high and low pressure hoses, and then remove the EVO from the pump. Replace the o-rings. Two of them are on the end of the EVO that screws into the pump, and the other two are up under the swivel. In order to get the swivel off, just remove the two outer o-rings, and then pull hard on the swivel. It should slide off, exposing the two o-rings. Coat the new o-rings with petroleum jelly, then put everything back together.

The o-rings that you will need are included in power steering seal kit #8526. Autozone has it for $9.99. It has other o-rings that you won't use. You'll need 2 kits because the kit only has 1 o-ring that goes up under the swivel. If you're not replacing the PS high pressure hose, you'll also need the little teflon seal that fits over the hose connection that screws into the EVO. If you don't replace this, it will end up leaking. You'll need to go to Ford to get it. (part #388898-S) Should cost <$2.00 each. Before trying to slide this little teflon seal over the threaded hose connection, put it in some warm/hot water, and then slide it up over a punch to stretch it some. Then, you should be able to fit it over the threaded connection. Bleed the system, and put everything back together. Also, remember to refill the powersteering system with Ford Type F ATF....not normal powersteering fluid. You can get that at Autozone also.

If you want to slow down your leak until you get this done, pour in some Lucas power steering stop leak. It works pretty good, but probably won't totally stop the leak.

Good luck.

David
'95 SC
5-speed

Lucas is in there, i add their products to any thing i service. I have the motor apart, and the pump is new, i already put the new teflon seal on the new ps high pressure hose. The leak seems to only come from the evo assembly. and of all times only when the engine is off and the car is sitting.

How to bleed Power Steering system?

Kendall221,
I just changed out my leaking Power Steering pump, but couldn't figure how to drain the system without taking the right side of the engine apart. Is there a convenient place to do this?
Also, how fatal is it if I used stock Power Steering fluid (as I've done)?

My PS always had a whine when I turned the wheel, and that's gotten a lot better now that I've put in a new pump; unfortunately, that whine isn't completely gone. Could something besides the pump be bad?

Thanks,
Fred

peacefulruler said:
My PS always had a whine when I turned the wheel, and that's gotten a lot better now that I've put in a new pump; unfortunately, that whine isn't completely gone. Could something besides the pump be bad?

Thanks,
Fred
Check the fluid for bubbles which are a sign of air entering the system.

Pull the return hose off the steel line by the oil filter. It'll drain the pump and the rack, plug the hose going to the pump, fill the pump, start the engine and pump out all the old stuff while pouring new stuff in.

I know this is a significant thread bump, but I wanted to share some additional info for others with a steering leak.

The Manufacturer of the seal kit #8526 is Powercraft (it was Edelmann - they're owned by the same company).

Ford part #388898-S is available in limited quantities from www.greensalescompany.com, even if you can't find it at the Ford dealer.

AC Delco makes a nice power steering high-pressure hose for the T-Bird. Looks just like the original. You will have to salvage one fitting from the old line at the rack - the little one that "tees" off out of the hex-shaped block.

Back