Increse Airflow to IC

zillion_03

Short of putting a fan on your IC to blow air across it, is there anything else you can to to improve the air flowing threw the grill. It looks like that is alot of plastic in the way. Perhaps its time for a trim?

90blkbrd said:
Remove the AC condenser.

A little less Draconic method would to replace the stock AC condenser with an aftermarket Shortie AC condenser which does not block the IC inlet.

Not to hijack thread but i just bought a IC Fan and best way to run it is to pull air through IC correct? not push air into the ic from what i understand

i like the short condenser. where can you pick one of those up. but as far as opeing up the bumper and shorouding infrount what can be removed or cut out?

Re: Short Condenser

zillion_03 said:
i like the short condenser.
The short condenser is a GOOD idea for Performance!!!!!!!

I'm an Old Guy here, and I LIKE my A/C.

But here's a Thought. If we could find a Short Condenser, with the same EFFICIENCY as the OEM Long Condencer, then we could have the best of both worlds. Cold Air AND cool air to the IC.

68COUGAR

cut out louvers

with winter time here for now cut out your director/louvers & it will get direct air it works great go down the road about 5 mins stop get out pop the hood & feel the IC ,then cut the 2 out in front of the IC then drive back & check it again, top & bottom are now cold.....free fast fix I say, now if it gets below 30 & your doing long drive better block the IC w/ cardboard or it will get about 14-16 MPG. the short A/C can wait till spring for me.

Pressure vs. Oxgene

35thauto said:
with winter time here for now .....will get about 14-16 MPG.
Since there are SO Many peope here who live & die, by PSI, I have to ask a very simple question.

Since the O2/ fuel ratio for optimum power is the same, acrosss the power AND RPM band, regardless of intake pressure, Why is everybody hung up on PSI, and not Oxigen per density? Has Nobody ever taken Physics?

Wake Up People!

68COUGAR

Last edited:
I must be missing this? I am quoted above but not about PSI I am just posting what works with out a full page of thery of operation, any how on the subject you will increse psi by the way when its colder

I see you blended my reply above , if you drive on the highway & cold soak your IC it will do this 14-16MPG

Chill..... its all good;)

Last edited:
if you increase your O2, like with nitrous you still have to add more fuel and with that come more stuff like injectors mass sensor blah blah blah...... was just looking for cheep albeat free thing to do to increase air to ic.

35AUTO,

You got any picts for a visual referance?

Ok, I'm not understanding how if your cruising along at 70 mph how you are going to get less mpg by having an unrestricted flow of air across your intercooler. If your not running boost, the bypass is open and the fuel pressure isn't cranked up so it shoulnd't have any affect on the cars gas milege unless you are constantly running with your foot down.

Scott Long said:
Ok, I'm not understanding how if your cruising along at 70 mph how you are going to get less mpg by having an unrestricted flow of air across your intercooler. If your not running boost, the bypass is open and the fuel pressure isn't cranked up so it shoulnd't have any affect on the cars gas milege unless you are constantly running with your foot down.

I believe its running to "rich" because the airtemp is soooo cold, remember this
is temps aprox below 30, the (my) car runs very strong like this too! I am not going to explain, better for XR7dave or some one who knows better than I .

I know what you mean, cold air is more dense. My car runs harder now than in the summer when its hot and humid. But I notice no decrease in MPG on the highway due to air temp changes. I don't think its relevent unless you are really pushing the car. Aerodynamics of the car and the direction of the wind and wind speed have more to do with your gas mileage than airflow to your IC. You think all these cars with true front mounts are losing highway mileage? I don't.

EFFICIENCY with OEM

well... not the idea ..of a bigger hole for more air flow....across the intercooler slash heat exchanger... to help cool the intake charge ...but I've allways thought of using rubber hose..instead of the OEM metal tubing... to and from the intercooler to stop the heat sinking .....of the intercooler and piping ...then a fan ... would have more effect... in disapating the heat and increase the efficiency of the intercooler ....since rubber will not hold heat ...and will isulate it from the motor..... allowing it to cool off more ....dave

Last edited:
I persoanally wouldn't like rubber IC piping. I think the rubber would heat up quicker than the aluminum. And if you rout it in the stock location near the exhaust manifold it will deform from heat or melt. Aluminum is a good material to use for them since its light and dissapates heat well. Why do you think big computers/amplifiers/etc.. use aluminum heat sinks?

here are some pics of the opening, ok 1 pic it is too big so this is it I have 9 in all I can send you.IC cutout 008.jpg

Attachments

• IC cutout small 001.jpg
    IC cutout small 001.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IC cutout small 003.jpg
    IC cutout small 003.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IC cutout small 004.jpg
    IC cutout small 004.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Scott Long said:
I persoanally wouldn't like rubber IC piping. I think the rubber would heat up quicker than the aluminum. And if you rout it in the stock location near the exhaust manifold it will deform from heat or melt. Aluminum is a good material to use for them since its light and dissapates heat well. Why do you think big computers/amplifiers/etc.. use aluminum heat sinks?

Rubber ..my Renault 1.5l turbo..[where I got the idea from] was all rubber on the stock turbo ....not to mention .. only the core of the intercooler was metal and the housing was all plastic ....Rubber/silicone.. also does not transfer heat ..like metal and can take some high temps ........of courase ..you wouldn't run rubber hose in stock location ..near exhaust ...but it is also not good... they way they to ran the stock lower IC tubing .... right next to the exhaust manifolds either ..it becomes a heat sink ..from the radaint heat from the exhaust manifold ...so what you cool gets reheated again ...the tubing is too hot ...to touch after a good drive ....I agree aluminum is a great heat sink ....but it holds heat .....and it is way above ambeint temp ...and the whole top end of the motor is aluminum...making it a giant heat sink ...which is hard to over come ....dave

Last edited:
Back