removing the starter...

onemikedown

has anyone been able to get the top bolt off the starter? Im pretty sure its the original starter from 89 with 187k miles on it and my wratchet Is just rounding the darn thing off... Any suggestions?????:confused:

wierd stuff...

So I could only get 1 bolt off the starter then went home defeated. I just went back to work on the interior wiring and low and behold THE CAR STARTS RITE UP!!! I started it 7 times in a row!:D Now i'm wondering if I should even put the other starter in or just leave the current 1. Could the starter damage the tranny if it only has 1 bolt(although that 1 bolt is on there reallly tight) in it?:confused:

Last edited:
I had to use the craftsman bolt-out kit from sears to get a starter bolt off of a junkyard car. It was completely round. I tapped it on with a hammer and it bit right into the rounded bolt. It's a great kit to have!

Its possible that you merely had a loose/dirty connector. If thats the case, it will happen again. Clean the small wire connector and tighten it up slightly. :cool: Reinstall the other bolt.

Sounds like you have a loose wire. The small wire on the starter gets loose and causes "no start" problems. Mine did the same thing this past summer. I was sure the starter was trash but before buying a new one I checked all the wires. The small one with the spade type, slide together connector was a bit loose and a little corroded. I cleaned it up real good and put it back on then squeezed it tight with a small vice grips. Been working great ever since.

As for the bolts... I would also say you need to get all bolts in there to hold it in place and make sure it doesn't move around and cause problems. If you get the bad bolt out just replace it with a new one... otherwise just leave it till it NEEDS to come out and get the other bolt back in there and tight.

Tracy

We just went through this with Darkside's SC. We found out it was a bad ground. Check the grounding cable that goes from your pass. side framerail to the engine. Unbolt it and sand the paint down to bare metal, sand the connector and rebolt it. You'll notice the car will turn over faster especially if you clean up the ends that attach to the engine block. There's the one that your neg. battery cable goes to the block. Make sure that's not corroded or dirty. I've had this happen to both my vehicles within the last 6 months. Either corroded cables or bad grounds. Good luck

Thanks guys, it saved me from replacing the starter! I just sprayed the wire connector with WD-40 and she started with no problem!

Back