pros/cons of 4.2L block

pomo35th

Hey guys,

I'm currently saving up for a rebuild and i've seen a few instances of sc'ers upgrading to a 4.2L block from the 3.8. I wanted to know if this was a worthwhile platform for building power ( 4.2 block with all the sc stuff bolted on to it, to be more specific). would this setup be a benefit in attaining roughly 300rwhp with room for more power down the road? or would i be wasting money that could be more 'effectively' spent?

sorry if this question has been addressed before. I searched the forums and found alot of info, but none that really directly answered my question here.
Thanks for any input on this question!

300 rwhp? Probably do fine, though the SC block is just as fine.

The only downside to the 4.2 block is you can't use the SC crank in it. That leaves you with a cast crank rather than a forged crank.

Otherwise, check out www.v6power.net as I think there are a few cars built with the 4.2 block.

Weak rods and pistons and a non steel crank. I would think the crank would hold up though. I;m sure they must have aftermarket rods and pistons no?

I would not use the 4.2 block. I have herd of some stroker kits for the 3.8 that will bump it to the 4.2 l.

Back