Wheel bearing????

Darryl

A very bad grinding noise was coming from the drivers side rear wheel. I removed the tire and noticed that the brake pads were fine but the rotor was worn badly but only the top half. When I put the tire back on but had the car jacked up, I grabed the tire and could wobble it very, very bad. Almost felt like I could have pulled it off. Could the rear bearings cause this or is it something else like hub asembly? Please help. I guess the wheel is wobbling so bad that the rotor is kicked out and just gringing away on something. Thanks for any advice you have to offer. I dont know much about this sort of thing at all but the car is not driveable to even get it to a shop.

Sounds like the rear sealed bearing has gone - very common on SC's. Try a search on this forum, because there are some good articles on replacing that sealed bearing. Bearings themselves are relatively easy to find at parts stores but you'll need a bearing press or access to one at the local garage/machine shop to install the new one. Hopefully you've caught it before any hub damage has taken place. Last one I did on my '93 it was so bad I had the car towed and I also had to get a hub assembly from Ford. Not a difficult job if you get to it early. As for the brakes, it's also common for the caliper pins to seize, especially if the last time the pads were replaced the mechanic didn't lube them; this causes the brakes to put uneven pressure on the rotor, which could contribute to overheating the rotor and bearing. A common mistake is also not lining up the pins on the inner pad with the slot in the piston - maybe the reason only part of your rotor is worn.
Good luck.

Back