Camshaft Identification Marks

Brian Chain

Anybody out there have an SC camshaft (preferably 1993 5sp) out to look at? Can you tell me what markings are imprinted on the shaft and on the back end?

Mine has "C" on the shaft near the back end and "291", "A", and "070292" on the back end. I am trying to make sure mine is the right one. Long story short, the machine shop "Thinks" they gave me the right one but couldn't find where they left it initially. They "think" that the "C" on the shaft itself designates that it belongs to an SC.

So I am both very pissed that they didn't take care of my stuff and worried that I am going to put the thing back together with a camshaft out of a NA 3.8 or something else.

Anybody have a cam out to look at? Or have seen these markings? Thanks....

I'm not sure about the markings and I'm sure I don't have any '93 5 speed cams around. You might try to find out the stock intake and exhaust lift for the cam (can't remember the break down on the cams year to year) and verify that with measurements on the cam itself. You won't really be able to verify duration very easily. Or you can use this as a good excuse to get a new cam.

Brian Chain said:
Anybody out there have an SC camshaft (preferably 1993 5sp) out to look at? Can you tell me what markings are imprinted on the shaft and on the back end?

Mine has "C" on the shaft near the back end and "291", "A", and "070292" on the back end. I am trying to make sure mine is the right one. Long story short, the machine shop "Thinks" they gave me the right one but couldn't find where they left it initially. They "think" that the "C" on the shaft itself designates that it belongs to an SC.

So I am both very pissed that they didn't take care of my stuff and worried that I am going to put the thing back together with a camshaft out of a NA 3.8 or something else.

Anybody have a cam out to look at? Or have seen these markings? Thanks....

I've got a 91 SC engine I'm parting out.... I'll try to get the cam removed tomorrow and get the numbers; don't know if 91 and 93 are different though. Mine is from a 5 speed car.

Just curious.....what was your camshaft doing at the machine shop in the first place if they are not assembling your engine??....

I've heard bad stuff like this before, I always mark my parts somehow so I can tell if I'm getting the same ones back. just a couple punch marks in strategic places will do....

The early cams had two different grinds; one for the automatics and another for the manuals. Didn't show the difference by a color marking?

Thanks...

Thanks for all the responses guys. Hopefully someone out there with a 93 will have one out to look at so I can get this figured out for sure...

Kevin, I would like to skip the new cam as this is really just a stock rebuild...but it may end up at that point. Maybe the shop can measure the cam specs for me, seeing as how they screwed this up in the first place.

Keven - aren't you in north Idaho? I think we've talked before. This is Evergreen in Spokane that did this. Usually they are supposed to be pretty good, they are knowledgeable people and rebuild a LOT of engines. Anyway, they aren't putting it back together for me, I was going to do that myself. I brought it in since they were doing cam bearings, didn't know if they would want to test fit with the cam. I'll mark the pieces next time I do this...this is the first time I've ever gotten this deep into a car so I'm pretty much stupid about everything.

Super XR7 - does that mean that 89-93 5 speeds should all be the same (in terms of spec)? The markings are obviously different, since the Roadhawg's 89 doesn't match mine...

Still want to request that anybody with a 93 5 speed cam please post the markings on it...if nothing else it will confirm measurements made on the cam...

Thanks, Brian

Factory CAM Specs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

89 Manual

Intake .448", 194° @ .050", ICL 106°
Exhaust .457", 202° @ .050", LDA 110°
_______

89 Auto, 90 thru 93 All

Intake .445", 192° @ .050", ICL 108°
Exhaust .457", 198° @ .050", LDA 113.5°
________

94 thru 95 All

Intake .427", 214° @ .050", ICL 113°
Exhaust .443", 180° @ .050", LDA 105.5°

No mistake, Intake duration is longer than Exhaust on the late cams. The '89 manual cam is the best of the bunch.

thanks to fred 4 pt 3 for the info ....not sure if it helps ....dave

Last edited:
Yeah, we are slowly moving into a new house so I have yet to get the dimensions checked. Did notice something, however, that reassures me. The six digit number is probably a manufacturer's date, and my cam says 1992, which is when it would have been made for a 93 car. So at least the year is right.

Will have them check specs on it and then will know for sure.

Thanks, Brian

Back