intercooler

fastang

hey guys i have a quick question. i have heard that the stoock intercooler sucks(m90) but is that from just the positioning or does it just really suck. i was woundering if i'm wasting my time tring to make it a front mount or not. now recently i have been to my local scrap yard and found a volvo 740 turbo in the yard and saw a intercooler just sitting ther. so i took the intercooler just for sh!ts and giggles. am i better off keeping the m90 and fab'ing up a front mount or should i take the volvo one and make it a front mount. Or scrap both ideas? i am tring to do this on budget and just want to get a OEM intercooler. what else flows well?

thanks in advance

Rich

On SC's a NPR intercooler is a good IC to use. Stock IC's are just plain HORRIBLE, so fabbing up a front mount setup would be a great idea.

I'm using this IC. Although, it's a tight fit in an SC, i've seen it in a couple of mustangs.

Attachments

• 1111212579676_1110378057239_xxl_side_view.jpg
    1111212579676_1110378057239_xxl_side_view.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
As long as it has decent CFM ratings and is a front mount then anything is better than stock.

What are the dimensions on that IC?

I will take it off your hands...I need one for my 88TC and it'll bolt right in. I keep getting to the junkyards after all the parts have been stripped from the car.

from what i've heard, volvo intercoolers suck, but i dont know for sure, whichever one flows better is obviously the way to go

dimentions are Approximately 23 wide at bottom and 28.5 at top. Core is about 18x17. Tubes are approximately 2.25 in diameter

How thick is it?

I really think a 3" endtanks is about what we need for these cars. 2 1/4" is to small.

2.75" tubing is near perfect for blower and return pipes, but if you use variance i think 3" pipe from the blower and 2.5" return is good.

i just won me a pretty nice intercooler... for 20 bucks shipped on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8014554556&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

i will keep u guys posted on my fabrication... i am gonna put a fan on it and put it directly in front of the air entrance and wrap the tubes in heat shield wrap...

also one thing i dont understand why do people buy the double intercooler? its still in the worst place imaginable and i dont think it does anything to promote cooler air...

Last edited:
darkstar_one said:
i just won me a pretty nice intercooler... for 20 bucks shipped on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8014554556&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

i will keep u guys posted on my fabrication... i am gonna put a fan on it and put it directly in front of the air entrance and wrap the tubes in heat shield wrap...

also one thing i dont understand why do people buy the double intercooler? its still in the worst place imaginable and i dont think it does anything to promote cooler air...

it won't necessarily promote cooler air, although it will dissipate heat faster so it may be more efficient when a large amount of heated air is moving through it, although i believe the big benefit of it is that it flows quite a bit more air, so you have a smaller pressure drop across the IC, thus making more boost at the engine/gauge.

Although the Volvo intercooler is bigger it wont flow enough air. Its way to narrow.I read an article on it a while back.

Both stock SC and Volvo IC dont flow enough CFM. The Volvo IC become a restriction on mild 2.3 so putting it on a 3.8 just makes it that much worse. There are alot of good ICs on E-bay that will flow much better then either option. Just remember that any FMIC will greatly overtax you'r cooling and A/C system. I would try and keep the core to 3'' thick or thiner. If you are into fabrication then buy another SC IC and cut both end tanks off and make one large IC with nice end tanks. That is what i did and it cost me around $150.00 and flowes more then enough. I will sell you this monster IC for $60.00 you can cut it up and make whatever you want out of it.

Attachments

• IC.JPG
    IC.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 121
BKB said:
Both stock SC and Volvo IC dont flow enough CFM. The Volvo IC become a restriction on mild 2.3 so putting it on a 3.8 just makes it that much worse. There are alot of good ICs on E-bay that will flow much better then either option. Just remember that any FMIC will greatly overtax you'r cooling and A/C system. I would try and keep the core to 3'' thick or thiner. If you are into fabrication then buy another SC IC and cut both end tanks off and make one large IC with nice end tanks. That is what i did and it cost me around $150.00 and flowes more then enough. I will sell you this monster IC for $60.00 you can cut it up and make whatever you want out of it.
How are the fins on that IC? What size are the openings?

Also beware of intercoolers with plastic endtanks like some of the big turbo diesels and that Volvo IC you are thinking of using. Plastic can crack easier.

I've got a NPR and at 286RWHP w/ 15 psi my ACT's were pretty reasonable. Wish I could remember, but XR7 Dave seemed to think they were pretty good.

Micah

hey micah post some pics of ur intercooler set up... i was browsing through the search and cant seem to see them since TCCOA made those new rules..

well here are pics of my interooler..

11-21-05_1359.jpg

11-21-05_1358.jpg

yep its pretty thick about 3 and half inches... a lil bigger then stock but should do better at cooling seeing as how the boost will make 2 passes...

i am gonna start on it tommorow.. right now its too late and i have to get ready for work... i will also be mounting a 10" Puller fan that can pull 1000 CFM at 7.5 AMPS. Im gonna mounted right in behind the air passage entrance... I will let you guys know the results...

ohh i also forgot it has a lil plug were i beleive i can add a AIR CHARGE TEMPERATURE SENSOR.... MUAHAHHAHAHAH!

Last edited:
Back