I'm Scared...really scared...

89SCK@t

I was driving home today and my car just lost all power...engine still running(barely). I pressed the gas, the car didn't go any faster. I pressed the clutch, gave the motor a couple quick rev's, released and it ran fine for a couple of seconds...then back to having no power. I really can't explain it better than that.

I made an emergency turnoff, cut a car off in the process, and the car died. I was smelling burnt oil coming into the cabin, but no smoke.

I checked the oil, nothing on the dipstick, I start freaking out. I had a couple of quarts in the trunk. 1 1/2 quarts later, up to the full mark. I had really thought I spun a bearing...or just destroyed the motor completely.

This happened once before, when my fuel gauge didn't work properly, and I ran out of gas...but I just filled up. Checked the schreader valve, got fuel. Turned the key to on, and checked the valve again...more fuel.

Pulled my homemade CAI off to check for and debris that might be in there...nothing.

Checked everything I could while I was there.

I waited about 15 mins, turned the car on, let it idle for about 2 mins...no change in rpm, nothing. Like it never happened. Drove it home, not even a hiccup.

The one thing I did notice though was the Oil Pressure gauge...I know it's really an idiot switch, but it was right between the O and R before the big scare happened. I watched it while I was driving home and in was on the line between L and the NORM range.

The last paragraph is really my question. Has this happened, not neccessarily my story, to anyone else? Pressure switch not working properly...I am really scared that my oil pump is going out. I mean, its not a big surprise, the motor has 256K miles on it.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
Stephen

I think you're okay. If you spun a bearing it would read low oil pressure.

Cut the oil filter open and look for bearing material. That would tell you everything.

CMac89 said:
I think you're okay. If you spun a bearing it would read low oil pressure.

Cut the oil filter open and look for bearing material. That would tell you everything.

Wait! so I did spin a bearing!?! It's borderline low pressure. AAAH...dammit..

if you spun a bering you would hear a lower end knock.... the crank rides on that bearing so if you spun a bearing you would hear the knocking it migt be a low knock not loud but if you hear a knock coming from the oil pan you need a rebuild

Back