PDA

View Full Version : Needing Lx 4.6 Help, Brothers!!!

rharmyguy
11-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm getting a 97 LX that a kid said died on him yesterday. 4.6 LX just died while driving. He claims that 2 cylinders were missing for about a month and while rolling down the road it just died. No knocks, not locked up. Turns over but wont fire. The car is in great shape and for $300 bucks! HELP ME OUT!! I could turn this car for a pretty profit or pass it off to my 16 year old dughter for a beginner car!!!! This plea for help is also posted in electrical forum. And yes, I have a 91 SC Auto too!!

Roadhawg
11-15-2005, 10:37 PM
I would start by pulling codes...........

Thunder427
11-15-2005, 11:01 PM
uuh.. he drove it while running on 6 cylinders ?

i think it may be obvious that you have an ignition problem.

check wires, check plugs, check coil pack.

first make sure plugs are getting a spark.

Andy 94SC
11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I agree, try to pull codes.

If there are no codes try unbolting the exhaust at the manifolds and try starting it. My 95 4.6L was sold as having a "bad engine and trans." It would crank, and maybe fire a couple of times, but would not start. The cats were plugged. Once the exhaust was free flowing the car started right up, and has been running fine for two years now.

From talking with other people it sounds like it is not uncommon for those cars to plug the cats to the point where the engine cannot run. As they are plugging up it could explain the feeling that it was not running on all cylinders.

S_Mazza
11-16-2005, 04:12 PM
You could try searching around on the www.tccoa.com forums, also. They have a forum dedicated to the 4.6L.

blown96bird
11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
If he drove it on 6 cilinders for a while it is a strong possiability that he melted the cats down with raw gasoline. I would disconect the cats and see if the car will fire. I would also pull the codes. I would also replace the plugs and wires since the plug holes can get water in them and cause a misfire. I would also change the oil and filther, air filther, fuel filther, check the water in the battery, clean the maf, and flush the transmission fluid once you get it running.