Can we limit the size of images and banners in people's signature ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Ron & George,

It seems that lately a few people are getting a little carried away with the size of their personal signature images and banners. Most boards I visit have a strict limit on the size, but around here it seems like whatever you want to do is okay.

I know I can change my personal prefrences not to see them, but that doesn't address the problem of bandwidth consumption, and even more importantly our image as a club. I hate to say it, but this place beginning to look like one of those tacky import sites.

Are these super sized signature images bugging anyone else, or am I just getting too old to apreciate them ?

David

PS: Here are a couple examples of what I'm talking about. BTW, I don't mean to single these guys out, but Geeze...do those pictures really need to be full screen ?

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=456201&postcount=3

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471490&postcount=1

Now that is funny. .. That one with the Playstation or XBox game is huge. ... Nice picture though. .. Doesn't bother me, but for people without High Speed Access, that probably is a killer.

Anthony

David Neibert said:
...Are these super sized signature images bugging anyone else, or am I just getting too old to apreciate them ?

Probably doesn't matter much but I'd second a limit.... I know I'm too old to appreciate them.

I'm with you, David. Some of those get pretty annoying, especially when there are multiple replies with sig. included in the same thread.

Is my sig. too large? Please tell me if you think so ... :)

cheers
Ed N.

It's not just you Dave.

And it's not just bandwidth. If you aren't running something more than 800x600, you can't even read the post anymore.

I agree, those are some big effin signatures. Before i read the thread i knew exactly which 2 peoples signatures were gigantic

David,

From the technical side, there is little we can do to control it, mostly because the image is hosted elsewhere, unless we want to disallow signatures, which doesn't seem like the right answer.

We need to lay down reasonable rules, let forums users know the rules, and give them time to change their image.

Then, rely on users to point out signatures not abiding by the rules.

I will discuss with George.

-Ron

David, looks like one guy in your example has already changed!

Ron has contacted me, so I'll get with he and Duffy and present something in the member area as soon as we decide.

I don't think we have reached the tacky level at this point, but it is always good to head these things off before they get too far out of hand. I might as well have another group mad a me for limiting things around here! LOL

Gents,

I would like to point out that most of those image files are automatically cached by your browser which means that they are only downloaded to your computer once even though you see them many times. This is why they will tend to appear rapidly even days later. :cool:

Guess I really don't notice them much as I tend to stand on the page-down key for long threads anyway. ;)

TbirdSCFan said:
I would like to point out that most of those image files are automatically cached by your browser which means that they are only downloaded to your computer once even though you see them many times. This is why they will tend to appear rapidly even days later. :cool:
Agreed, but I clear my history and cache every time my computer starts :)

Anyway, I'm on broadband so the bandwidth isn't a problem and I run 1280 x 1024 or higher, so screen size isn't much of a problem either. I just think the big signature picstures take away from the flow of the thread. And I don't want to turn off signatures, because I usually enjoy knowing a little about the person posting. Although some of the 20+ line long signatures that list every mod and/or repair seem a bit excessive.

OK, I'm finished whining. And no, I don't want any cheese :D

I agree with DN----some are way too much. Thats not a slam on the poster, some of them seem to be really good members!. It might help to remember that the purpose of most posts, is not to present yourself as the subject, but to reply (constructively--hopefully) to the subject of the thread. If you want to be the subject of a thread, then post away-----at least when I "surf" I have the option of not opening the thread. I almost always read threads/posts because the subject matter is of interest to me-----not the particular member posting. I will open some posts because of a great respect for the knowledge of the poster, almost with disregard to the subject.
A fine line here, some info is O.K. but some are screaming ME, ME, ME, ME !!
Respectfully my .02!!
TB

On another forum I post on there are rules for sig picture size and avatar size. The sig size is 300x150 pixels I think it is. That's big enough for somebody to show of their car or whatever and not have it be too big and slow browsing down for those with slower connections.
Just my 2 cents. Or 1.6 cents with the conversion to USD. :)

Back