Smytoms of improper crank sensor gap?

super-merc

Title says it all, what are the symtoms of an improper crank sensor gap? Will the car run? My '90 started bucking very consistently then evened out only to do it again a minute later. I just finished this motor and am almost sure I did not set the gap correctly. The car does run with no upshift light on during cranking. I have almost 10 miles on it with no trouble but today it started this bucking almost like the key was being shut off and on. Maybe the DIS? I will attempt to pull the codes but I have no CEL so far. Thanks in advance, Rob

Sounds like the DIS...

I've had to "set the gap" on my crank sensor several times over the years due to broken balancers, but I've never actually used a guage to get it exact. I basically just rotate the crank and adjust the sensor position so that the hall-effect vanes on the balancer split the gap in the sensor. As long as the vanes don't make any contact with the sensor you should be OK. I've never had a problem just "eyeballing" it (as far as I can tell, anyway). You can used the cover of a matchbook slipped in between the vane and the sensor as a guage.
Make sure the two bottom mounting bolts for the DID are secure and the threads are clean. These bolts provide the electronic ground for the module. Also, get some "heat sink" compound (not dielectric grease) from RadioShack and put a thin coating on the back side of the DIS. High temperature will cause the DIS to get flacky.

As Larry stated I don't think the gap is so critical as long as the trigger wheel isn't contacting the sensor. I used a long piece of paper folded over a couple of times to set the gap on mine.

Pull the codes. Just because your CEL isn't always on doesn't mean there aren't codes stored in the computer.

Back