Lifter problem.....

CMac89

Last week I pulled the valve covers to check the rockers and all was good. They were all tightened.

Now I can hear a rocker tapping pretty clearly (just one).

So I was thinkin, since I have a new cam, 7.200 pushrods, and 1.73rr's, but I still have the stock lifters. So I was thinkin maybe the stock lifters are gettin worn out.

What do you guys think?:confused:

Did you actually check the preload on every lifter? Are you positive its not an exhaust leak? These lifters last a long time, but for around $100.00 you can replace them all with new ones. Also when you install them make sure the hole is UP, this will help them bleed out any air.

BKB said:
Did you actually check the preload on every lifter? Are you positive its not an exhaust leak? These lifters last a long time, but for around $100.00 you can replace them all with new ones. Also when you install them make sure the hole is UP, this will help them bleed out any air.
It preloads about .015. I'm not 100% sure it's not an exhaust leak, but I have exhaust manifold gaskets and a small leak in the downtube. I can hear the tapping from inside the engine bay near cylinder 6. It seems farfetched for a lifter to be tapping since is hydraulic roller and there's no lash.

I just noticed it a couple days ago. I was thinkin may 10W-40 is too thick for 20 degree weather and maybe that lifter wasn't gettin enough oil.

Back